Thickening the trunk with wire

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever tried to make shohin white (or black) pines by letting the bark grow over copper wire? I found a video of a Japanese nursery where they show this technique:

(at about 1:40 seconds)

Seems very interesting! I'd like to try this with some white pines and try to create gnarly and twisty trunks. Has anyone here tried this before?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone here ever tried to make shohin white (or black) pines by letting the bark grow over copper wire? I found a video of a Japanese nursery where they show this technique:

(at about 1:40 seconds)

Seems very interesting! I'd like to try this with some white pines and try to create gnarly and twisty trunks. Has anyone here tried this before?
It will triple the trunk size in one season.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I had planned on doing this with some scots seedlings this year. The wire started to bite in real good but I was hesitant to leave it on any longer as I feared it may choke off sap flow before eating up the wire. I should have left a couple on but,.... I diddnt I got carried away. Maybe ill give it a go again next hear

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I did do this with some crabapple seedlings with great success. However the tree and the wire were considerably smaller. It should give me some cool fissures and flow in the movement of the tree and bark as it gets bigger.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I had planned on doing this with some scots seedlings this year. The wire started to bite in real good but I was hesitant to leave it on any longer as I feared it may choke off sap flow before eating up the wire. I should have left a couple on but,.... I diddnt I got carried away. Maybe ill give it a go again next hear

I'm going to try it with scots pine seedlings too next year. I still have a couple of them and they've already grown really well. I do wonder if it would be better to use thicker seedlings... Maybe it doesn't matter that much, as long as you use the right gauge of wire..

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I'm going to try it with scots pine seedlings too next year. I still have a couple of them and they've already grown really well. I do wonder if it would be better to use thicker seedlings... Maybe it doesn't matter that much, as long as you use the right gauge of wire..
I was using 1/4 thick give or take seedlings, with 3mm wire. My guess would be smaller the better... Less wire area for the tree to have to grow over . but again just a guess. I should have left some on and monitered them as everything is swelling for their fall season of growth.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I asked about this a while back....
I seem to remember lots of negative feedback...
It is interesting though.
I was told no about doing it with My crab seedlings, everyone said wait til next year and dont leave it on.... Well they would have been too large next year to get the bends I wanted, so i went against the grain and glad i did some ate up the wire and some had it removed before it dissapeared. Trunk is shaped at year one and can grow out undisturbed now for the next few years. Ill snag some pics later

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I haven't done it personally but the technique is used on JWP frequently. I would encourage you to look at some that have had this done some time ago. The results aren't for everyone. Look at some imported JWP for sale on eBay to get an idea of how they turn out.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol!!! Even the Japanese nurseryman said some don't like the embedded wire technique!

In Japan today, these have fallen out of favor. The growers are finding that the price they're getting doesn't cover the cost of digging them up.

I have one. I think you'll always be able to tell there's wire embedded.

JBP trunks will fatten up faster than JWP scions anyway.

I think a better way of doing this would be to wire the trunks, then remove the wire after its cut in, but while you still can. If you want, wire it again.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
I have a small JBP. I got it cheap on ebay and the wire was digging in too far. I left it as an experiment to see if it would grow over it and show a twist in the trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone know WHY the trunk swells when constricted with wire?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know WHY the trunk swells when constricted with wire?

Lots of people do.

It happens anytime one restricts the flow of auxin in the cambium (Polar Auxin Transport). An excess of auxin builds up, causes ethylene production which (in turn) enhances the rate of radial growth (this accumulation of auxin may also cause some cambium cells to dedifferentiate and upregulate auxin production to become root initials).

Everyone is familiar with this. It is the reason behind the flare above an air layer girdle/tourniquet. It is why wire on branches suddenly 'bites in' (look closer and one will see that this area of the branch seems thicker even though it is just the enhanced radial growth immediately above the wire). It also happens with thread grafts that pass through a drilled hole that effectively functions as a tourniquet on the thread.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmmm... 🤔...💡!!!

2020-gallery-3-350x216.jpg

Top Bottom