Thin Foemina

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up at the swapmeet. I bought it from Ray Thieme, the guy that provided the huge Cal. juniper back in 2008 for Harry Hirao to style. Ray has been a good bonsai friend over the years and actually sold me my first foemina juniper 29 years ago. I still have it.

The reason I like foemina is that they like my kind of treatment. You can actually prunes these trees back extreamly hard to make a wafer thin foliage pad and it will reward you with a thin flush of new buds that will make the pad look dynamite. No other juniper can make a pad as well defined as a needle juniper. They are also bullet proof and hard to kill, don't need as much water and are in fact more drought tolerant.

This one has a thin shari on one side and will have a few jins up top when I am through.

Not much now, but look for this one to shape up very fast and lose that big head of hair soon.

$35.00

Attachments

• DSC_00710043.JPG
    DSC_00710043.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_00720044.JPG
    DSC_00720044.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...this is what I did. First styling....we'll see how it looks in the fall after it fills in.

Attachments

• DSC_000100011.JPG
    DSC_000100011.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 191

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Side by side

Attachments

• DSC_000100011.JPG
    DSC_000100011.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_00720044.JPG
    DSC_00720044.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 108

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great job! I love to see these kinds of threads. You tell the short story, and we get to see the "before" pic.

Then, we get to decide if you made a great buy, or if your just a crazy old coot.

I love the part when I scroll down, and get to go, "Wow, he did a great job with that material"!

I usually have a decent eye to see the bonsai, but, I have to admit, I originally said $35
was too much for that piece of crap. Happy to have you proven me wrong, sir!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really love this tree....It's just so pleasing looking. Can you post some new pics of it?

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Rob, just saw this post. I need about another month to really get it to a point that updateing the picture will even show a difference. I will post it though soon.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice,I like were your going with this tree. Bunjin is my favorite style. Anyway very nice. Pete

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... One question I have.. I might already know the answer though. Generally, when I take a tree down to a skeleton like this, I let it grow like like crazy and then cut back to the original style. Are you going to do that? Then when it's a bush again, trim back to this style...or, are you going to just pinch to keep it here. I know that junies like to grow and replace all their foliage when cut back. Sometimes, they don't like to be interfered with again during this phase.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i really like how you pulled that branch on the right down to use as first branch, It changed the whole look of the tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You nailed it. Nice use of that first branch, a good example of why we learn the rules to break them.

Any plans to carve the deadwood?

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
lets start a thread to bring back Al

A little smoke and mirrors , some itchy and scratchy

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That thread is from almost exactly a year ago. I thought it was a new post and caught some serious de ja vu. :rolleyes:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We could all ask him and see if he would come back.... I know he's still looking around here.
Make sure you use lots of smileys in your PM's.....;)

Top Bottom