Things that make you go hmm 🤔

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m just going to leave this here for your contemplation/entertainment.
There's a kind car wreck thing going on with this. It's so Gawd awful bad, it's compelling. No doubt this guy will get millions of hits and followers as a result of this cheezy "freestyle" composition. "Freestyle" apparently means "non-sensical"--WHY would you go around kicking trees?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From a purely technical standpoint, it isn't a good bonsai, and it isn't "root over" anything.

However some people really get into including figures with trees. I laughed at @rockm 's comment because we've talked about people before who do car wreck bonsai. The first time it was done it was funny. After that it just became trite. In this composition, the tree isn't there to do anything other than compliment the statue. It is simply a background element. You could remove the tree entirely and it wouldn't change things much. Remove the statue, and the tree becomes a bad stick in a pot.

Perhaps I am a snob, but I wouldn't normally keep kung fu statues around the house, and therefore the whole thing has no appeal for me.

crash-model-car-bonsai-trees.jpg

One of my favorite windswept tree images has what appears to be a skyline of Hong Kong in the background. I didn't even notice it until I had had the image for a long time - I just assumed they were rocks. I think the Hong Kong skyline detracts from the composition - versus adding to it.

Windswept_bonsai_tree.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From a purely technical standpoint, it isn't a good bonsai, and it isn't "root over" anything.

However some people really get into including figures with trees. I laughed at @rockm 's comment because we've talked about people before who do car wreck bonsai. The first time it was done it was funny. After that it just became trite. In this composition, the tree isn't there to do anything other than compliment the statue. It is simply a background element. You could remove the tree entirely and it wouldn't change things much.

Perhaps I am a snob, but I wouldn't normally keep kung fu statues around the house, and therefore the whole thing has no appeal for me.

View attachment 405524
The "kung fu" angle, as well as the "root over Buddha" stuff on the guy's website is well-worn territory for "bonsai" Nick lenz was doing this back in the 90's. The "car wreck" bonsai thing was also the rage at about the same time.

Attachments

• carwreckbonsai.jpg
    carwreckbonsai.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 10

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I stand corrected then. This is an EXCELLENT representation of whatever it is.... 😁 Can't wait for the book -- another bonsai "rebel"...just what we need.

To each their own I guess. Nick Lenz has made some bonsai with "other" material incorporated into the design.......I guess it all depends who the stylist is for it to be accepted?

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But, like, how tall are kick boxers in comparison with trees?
I've seen them kick large trees, small trees, and banana trees. Banana trees are usually kicked to the point they fall over or break at the kicking point.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To each their own I guess. Nick Lenz has made some bonsai with "other" material incorporated into the design.......I guess it all depends who the stylist is for it to be accepted?

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php
Name has NOTHING to do with it. Lenz has actual bonsai skill and an artist's eye. Simply plunking down a Chinese Shiwan figure and strapping a ficus or mallsai juniper to it is not all that groundbreaking...and BTW, the Shiwan kick boxer here looks odd--his leg seems to be a bit too long, although it could be the photo playing tricks. That or the boxer walks constantly in a circle when he's not kicking the shit out of trees...

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, the first thing that popped in my head while watching was, “How is this a root over statue planting?”. Second thought was, “OMFG, the Kung Fu Guy is 50 feet tall in relation to that tree!” Comedy gold!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I guess it all depends who the stylist is for it to be accepted?
I appreciate Nick's work for its originality. Though some of his work is avant-garde, most of it was very traditional. And I'm not sure that all of his creative stuff worked... but I appreciate that he challenged convention... 30 years ago. However most of his compositions really incorporated the tree and the item very closely.

trident_root_over_gargoyle_detail.jpg

At the end of the day, I define bonsai as "tree as hero". The tree itself should be the focus of the composition, with the pot complementing it. If you want to add characters or other elements in a broader display, that's fine - as long as they add to, instead of detract from, the overall display. If you have a tree/statue combination and people spend more time looking at the statue than the tree... that's not bonsai.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Name has NOTHING to do with it. Lenz has actual bonsai skill and an artist's eye. Simply plunking down a Chinese Shiwan figure and strapping a ficus or mallsai juniper to it is not all that groundbreaking...and BTW, the Shiwan kick boxer here looks odd--his leg seems to be a bit too long, although it could be the photo playing tricks. That or the boxer walks constantly in a circle when he's not kicking the shit out of trees...
You know Lenz as well as any other person that takes bonsai serious or somewhat serious. He is known because of his skill and his artistic expression, he put himself out there. He went outside of the box from the traditional bonsai norm at that time with some of his compositions. His pottery also helped to get him known.

With the American culture "Name" has everything to do with it.....from what we buy, what we wear, what we eat. You go outside the US you will find Acura models under the Honda name......not here in the US....the world knows that Americans will buy because of "Name" which is why the same car manufacturer will make two separate brands to sell here in the US. This is just an example........so topic back to bonsai.

A pot made my Lenz and a 'No name potter" both equally artisic with a nice design, glaze, etc..... I bet you the Lenz pot would sell before because of his name. Not saying Lenz does not have skill, just saying he has made a "Name" for himself that people are willing to spend on.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I appreciate Nick's work for its originality. Though some of his work is avant-garde, most of it was very traditional. And I'm not sure that all of his creative stuff worked... but I appreciate that he challenged convention... 30 years ago. However most of his compositions really incorporated the tree and the item very closely.

View attachment 405527

At the end of the day, I define bonsai as "tree as hero". The tree itself should be the focus of the composition, with the pot complementing it. If you want to add characters or other elements in a broader display, that's fine - as long as they add to, instead of detract from, the overall display. If you have a tree/statue combination and people spend more time looking at the statue than the tree... that's not bonsai.
I'm not a big fan of those "incorporated compositions". I do appreciate the uniqueness and approach the artist put in to make them though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know Lenz as well as any other person that takes bonsai serious or somewhat serious. He is known because of his skill and his artistic expression, he put himself out there. He went outside of the box from the traditional bonsai norm at that time with some of his compositions. His pottery also helped to get him known.

With the American culture "Name" has everything to do with it.....from what we buy, what we wear, what we eat. You go outside the US you will find Acura models under the Honda name......not here in the US....the world knows that Americans will buy because of "Name" which is why the same car manufacturer will make two separate brands to sell here in the US. This is just an example........so topic back to bonsai.

A pot made my Lenz and a 'No name potter" both equally artisic with a nice design, glaze, etc..... I bet you the Lenz pot would sell before because of his name. Not saying Lenz does not have skill, just saying he has made a "Name" for himself that people are willing to spend on.
True to a certain extent. I'd take a lot of issue with this brand name stuff being strictly an American phenomenon, however. For instance, Europe and Asia are arguably two of the biggest markets for Harley Davidson. That name sells bikes, it carries an image with it. Apple, Nike, Coca Cola know about brand power abroad too.

And BTW, Lenz' work sells to knowledgeable bonsaiists because of its workmanship and style. I saw examples at the National Arb waaaay back in the late 90's when no one knew who he was for the most part. The detail and unique approach spoke for itself back then before he wrote a book and became a "name."

Top Bottom