Think I may have killed my bald cypress

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am new to this site and hope my photos are attached. I got this BC 3 years ago with the hopes of turning it into a bonsai and it's done well. I live in centraL California however we had a freak snowfall only a few inches but I think it may have done in my BC. Anyone's advice or opinion would be appreciated. This is a fairly good sized tree, about 2ft tall with a 4 inch base.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 165

Schoolya

Seed
Reaction score
Give it time. Cold doesn't kill a Cypress.

il_fullxfull.402991434_4fa4.jpg

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very nice winter picture.
Am seeing green at the base It should be just fine, did you remove
all the branches? Nice base.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I trimmed off all the dead branches. The few that remain we're the only ones alive. There are several green leafs coming out of the trunk though. I've never taken this out of the 5 gal container to trim roots; when should I do that? It looks so bad I'm afraid to do much more than just water it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you quite sure the branches were dead? They are brittle wood, and take a while to leaf out. I would let it go for a while and see what happens before I do anything else. Poor soil will not kill a BC, so no worries there. Do keep it wet.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any chance it dried out over the winter? As judy pointed out, bald cypress don't mind wet roots and they are very cold hardy... I've seen them planted all over the lake front in Chicago:). Unless this one was actively growing when it snowed, I doubt the snow is to blame. However, if the pot was full of roots, the soil media could dry much faster, or even just run down the sides and out of the pot without soaking in. Give it time and lots of water and sun before giving up on it.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOW now you have me thinking that I could have a pot full or roots and no water during wintertime made it to the plant. I'm ashamed to say that this BC was somewhat forgotten during winter and although it was out in the open we had less than our normal rainfall and it may have suffered from lack of water. Should I check the rootball? Put in fresh potting soil? Thank you so much for your help.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would set the pot in a shallow tub of water, and let it sit in that for awhile. Let it get some water uptake before you do anything drastic to it. I keep mine in water all summer long.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay Judy have it sitting in a tub of water. Will just wait and see how she does. Did I ruin any possibilities for this by cutting off the branches I presumed were dead? Will it push out buds further up the trunk?

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It will bud out every where, soak I'm intervals. Let it sit for say 2
days and drain for 1. I currently have one in a half barrel that will be
Airlayed soon.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Luckily they are pretty forgiving, I would just let it grow wild for the rest of this year.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No clue about air layering but I will follow your advice on the watering. I hope you are right on it budding out all over. Thanks for your time.

Top Bottom