Thinking about making my own soil...

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My intention with this thread is not to start a fight over whose soil is better I'm just attempting to gain some knowledge so I can prepare an adequate mix for my own trees.

For a while now, I've been thinking about making my own soil so I wouldn't have to buy premixed any more. I have a bag of turface that I've been using as a base underneath my soil to elevate the trees in the pot and enable them to drain better. From what I've read, it seems like adding lava rock and some sort of bark to turface is the best way to go. For my area, what would be an appropriate mix ratio for those 3 components? Am I missing anything that should be added to that mix? Am I totally off base with this idea and should I revamp the components of my soil mix?

My trees include a shimpaku and several other junipers, a Chinese elm, several tigerbark ficus and multiple brazilian raintrees.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Have you checked pout Boone's mix? Its pumice, lava rock, akadama and a little charcoal. Not so much akadama. It's a wonderful mix and has all the qualities you are looking for. In your location I would add some more moisture retaining material like bark or ground sphagnum moss. I paid $40 for a 3 gallon bag but after seeing what's in it I'm going to make it myself for a half the cost. The key is to get similar particle size. Then I put a layer of larger size pumice or gravel on the bottom.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Be warned soiled can be an area of dispute on this site. . .

I think the components you have choosen are good. A mix of equal parts of each, maybe a little less of the bark depending on your local climate.

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Have you checked pout Boone's mix? Its pumice, lava rock, akadama and a little charcoal. Not so much akadama. It's a wonderful mix and has all the qualities you are looking for. In your location I would add some more moisture retaining material like bark or ground sphagnum moss. I paid $40 for a 3 gallon bag but after seeing what's in it I'm going to make it myself for a half the cost. The key is to get similar particle size. Then I put a layer of larger size pumice or gravel on the bottom.

Haven't checked it out yet but it sounds like the components are more or less in line with the idea that I was shooting for. Thanks for the advice!

Be warned soiled can be an area of dispute on this site. . .

I think the components you have choosen are good. A mix of equal parts of each, maybe a little less of the bark depending on your local climate.

I figured that might be the case, but was really just hoping for guidance (I hope the direction of this thread doesn't change). I appreciate the advice as far as my components go and will probably be back to ask questions as I try out different recipes.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
See if you can find dry stall.... 40 lb bag for $20 in the north ga area..... I will post a pic when I go back up to the house tonight. I use it and soil conditioner I get at lowes for about $4 for a bag.... I will post pics of it as well. So far it's working good for me.

Brian

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also consider how much you will be able to track their moisture. If you work from home and can water more frequently, a mix with more inorganics may work better for you. If away for long periods of the day, you may want a more organic mix to stay damp longer.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Also consider how much you will be able to track their moisture. If you work from home and can water more frequently, a mix with more inorganics may work better for you. If away for long periods of the day, you may want a more organic mix to stay damp longer.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Would probably be helpful if I told you guys what I do for a living haha. I'm currently a dental student so, with the exception of weekends, I'm away from home for the majority of the day so I would probably have to lean towards a predominantly organic mix.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As promised....I use about 60/40 mix by volume soil conditioner to drystall. I can only water once a day so I'm heavy on the organic side.

IMG_2526.jpg

soil%2B001.jpg

Brian

StarTurtle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Google Al's Gritty Mix good write up on soil science and gives the components and mix ratio.

However I have to say that the APL mix is GREAT. APL is Akadama pumice and lava

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Would probably be helpful if I told you guys what I do for a living haha. I'm currently a dental student so, with the exception of weekends, I'm away from home for the majority of the day so I would probably have to lean towards a predominantly organic mix.

This being said. I would sub in some pumice for turface into your mix. like a 1/3bark, 1/3lava, 1/3 (50/50 pumice turface)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like everyone in Florida uses Wigert's mix (equal parts lava, pine bark, and turface). If you wanted to make the drive there you could pick some up and shop for more trees. Bonsai Jack sells bags of sifted lava rock, pumice, and bark. You could get the bulk ingredients there for cheap and mix them up yourself. Driving there might take some time, but they allow local pickup at a discount if you're in the area. Might be cheaper to mix it up that way.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
florida bonsai,

You need to talk to people in Florida. Try PM'ing B'nut Member Sawgrass. He is pretty active here. While I use a mix similar to what you are proposing,(although I am thinking about bailing on the turface and going with more lava and pumice), I live in North Carolina. MY understanding is that most folks in Florida eliminate the organics due to the rain. You need to find out from your neighbors what works best in Florida.

Regards,
Martin

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Seems like everyone in Florida uses Wigert's mix (equal parts lava, pine bark, and turface). If you wanted to make the drive there you could pick some up and shop for more trees. Bonsai Jack sells bags of sifted lava rock, pumice, and bark. You could get the bulk ingredients there for cheap and mix them up yourself. Driving there might take some time, but they allow local pickup at a discount if you're in the area. Might be cheaper to mix it up that way.

That's a little far for me, about 4 hours north. But next time I make my way up to Orlando area I'll try and jump over and take a look at the nursery. Heard great things and I think it would be worth the trip to see the facility and pick up some pre-bonsai stock.

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
florida bonsai,

You need to talk to people in Florida. Try PM'ing B'nut Member Sawgrass. He is pretty active here. While I use a mix similar to what you are proposing,(although I am thinking about bailing on the turface and going with more lava and pumice), I live in North Carolina. MY understanding is that most folks in Florida eliminate the organics due to the rain. You need to find out from your neighbors what works best in Florida.

Regards,
Martin

Thank you very much Martin. I will definitely message Sawgrass and see what he recommends for the area. Do you mind my asking why you're bailing on the turface??

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a little far for me, about 4 hours north. But next time I make my way up to Orlando area I'll try and jump over and take a look at the nursery. Heard great things and I think it would be worth the trip to see the facility and pick up some pre-bonsai stock.

Actually Wigert's is over by Fort Myers, shouldn't be more than 2 hours from you.

eed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was going to say the same thing Martin said, only thing I would add, is to make sure that whoever you speak to in your area knows your watering habits, and micro climate. That is critical to how your soil will work - for you.

I bailed on turface, (and haydite as well) went with APL, never had happier trees. Turface (for me) tended toward getting dry spots, and I don't think particle size is optimal either.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
florida-bonsai,

Pretty much what Judy said. I am not happy with the particle size. It is pretty cheap and works OK, I would continue using it if I could find a larger particle with less waste. Not sure if I am eliminating or replacing with Akadama at this point. Probably just eliminating.

Re-read what Judy posted. There are some good deeper thoughts in there.

Regards,
Martin

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank you guys very much for your thoughtful replies. I will be reaching out to people in my area who have good experience with the conditions and who know my watering habits a little better. When I finally get a mix together I will let you guys know.

Thanks!

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you guys very much for your thoughtful replies. I will be reaching out to people in my area who have good experience with the conditions and who know my watering habits a little better. When I finally get a mix together I will let you guys know.

Thanks!

Paul with OrlandoBonsaiTV (youtube channel) says he uses straight lava. He said it retains and drains perfectly for the area. He has some interesting videos that may be helpful for your area but some of his trees are such that I would trust the mix he is using in your locale.

Best!

Top Bottom