Thinking About Signature Style

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Do Bonsai artists have a “signature style” per se? [...]

Adam Jones and Ryan discuss this in the most recent podcast of Asymmetry, and the conversation is excellent! They discuss both the freedom of the individual as well as the range of possible aesthetics for a given species. They go into containers as well. It's great listening and, I think, crucial for developing one's understanding of this highly nuanced topic.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Adam Jones and Ryan discuss this in the most recent podcast of Asymmetry, and the conversation is excellent! They discuss both the freedom of the individual as well as the range of possible aesthetics for a given species. They go into containers as well. It's great listening and, I think, crucial for developing one's understanding of this highly nuanced topic.

Excellent. Sounds very interesting. I’ll give it a listen on my lunch break.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Signature style is an emergent feature that arises from the habits of the artist. It shows up in the work of mature artists because they’ve been doing bonsai long enough to have acquired a set of habits in the way they approach bonsai. New artists are still trying out different things and haven’t settled in to a consistent way of doing things. That’s why they don’t yet have a signature style. Of course, there are some folks who never develop a signature style because they are more haphazard about how they do things or, alternately, because they are still doing everything exactly the way they were taught by their mentor to do it. That’s why a signature style is a mark of a seasoned artist: you have to have come up with a few innovations in how you do bonsai (i.e. “Ryan Neil showed me to do this thing this way, but I’m a little lazy and just do it this other way because it’s easier” or “I was taught to do X, but one time out of curiosity I tried doing Y instead and I decided that was better, so that’s how I do it now”)

Signature styles in other art media arise in the same way. You have a signature style when you have a consistent methodology and that methodology includes some quirky habits that are different from what your mentor taught you to do.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

This comment got me thinking about defining, "signature style," particularly the mention of containers.
I personally have a fondness for unglazed pots when I allow myself to imagine having the finances to get pots. That or understated, subtle glazes. I also enjoy keeping an eye out for random and unconventional items that could make complimentary pots. Hubcaps, broken lawn ornaments, whatever. I don't find many that pass muster and are worthwhile to store until I have the right tree for it.

That said, how much of a tree's aesthetics is tied to its container or planting?
Nick Lenz has gotten famous for things like root over skull plantings, but how good are his trees on their own?
At what point is the tree separate from the pot and planting, and what point it the planting or pot the star vs the tree?

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This comment got me thinking about defining, "signature style," particularly the mention of containers.
I personally have a fondness for unglazed pots when I allow myself to imagine having the finances to get pots. That or understated, subtle glazes. I also enjoy keeping an eye out for random and unconventional items that could make complimentary pots. Hubcaps, broken lawn ornaments, whatever. I don't find many that pass muster and are worthwhile to store until I have the right tree for it.

That said, how much of a tree's aesthetics is tied to its container or planting?
Nick Lenz has gotten famous for things like root over skull plantings, but how good are his trees on their own?
At what point is the tree separate from the pot and planting, and what point it the planting or pot the star vs the tree?
Yes... good questions. I need to know too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nick Lenz' trees are excellent. I caught the exhibit the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum did on his work a couple of years ago. Let's just say the containers--as weird as some were-- didn't outshine the trees in them.

Top Bottom