thinking of buying a kiohime maple

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a 2-3 year old tree in a gallon container says they can make a good bonsai is this true and if so should I leave it in its container or move it into a colander with bonsai soil?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First, you’d need to find one with a graft you can live with, or grow it big enough to air-layer.
Second, always build a bonsai from the ground up, so you’d want to get the roots right first before growing it bigger. Colendars are not that good for growing out maples. I’d recommend building a shallow wood box, or sticking it in the ground.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
anybody ever work with a grafted tree is it possible to tell where it is grafted or is it a bad idea?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
anybody ever work with a grafted tree is it possible to tell where it is grafted or is it a bad idea?

Where are you located? Actually, it doesn't matter. No matter where you are located, there is absolutely no reason to buy a grafted landscape maple and try to use it for bonsai. You are always better off giving your money to a pre-bonsai nursery.

That said, I don't know if the maple that you are thinking about is grafted or not. If you are buying from a reputable pre-bonsai grower, it will not be grafted. Kiyo Hime is very easy to propagate via air layers and cuttings.

If for some reason you have your heart set on Kiyo Hime, this is working against you. A better approach would be to visit a pre-bonsai nursery and choose from what is available among their maples or other species.

Top Bottom