Thinking Through Coast Live Oak Display

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinking about an informal display for a club meeting, intended to pay homage to the old Fort Ord (now a national monument) near me. It's a large expanse of impressive coast live oak forest. So, my thought was aged siding from some old army buildings, succulents similar to those growing on the dunes, and a bit or barbed wire. If I really wanted the Ft. Ord feel I'd use poison oak as the companion, but I do have my limits. Clearly just sitting on my work bench at the moment.

Thoughts? Comments?

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the mature trees near me have this "Spanish moss" looking lichens on them, Ramalina. It's the state lichen of California - ha. Better with or without the Ramalina? Those of you in the southeast, do you ever put spanish moss on your trees for display?

IMG_1071.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm assuming most of the local club membership viewing this display will get the reference to Fort Ord. The barn wire and weathered wood has me thinking of "ghost towns", such as an abandoned mining camp in Colorado. I think it works.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm assuming most of the local club membership viewing this display will get the reference to Fort Ord. The barn wire and weathered wood has me thinking of "ghost towns", such as an abandoned mining camp in Colorado. I think it works.

Some yes, some no. I'm thinking of putting a unit patch for the 7th Infantry Division in with the succulents. Too obvious?

Top Bottom