Third Eye Excersize

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's easy to stray from the visual mission.

Just a while ago, I was looking for scale on my little naked Ben, an easy enough task. Then I got caught up in the petioles of cut leaves falling off, and lost my place, in the systematic search for scale.

Sucks to have to start over.

How to remain focused on the one task?

Since other tasks certainly get in the way, if not also dealt with. Systematically.

Objective?
Understand how these unmanaged tasks may get in the way, or cloud the vision of, that all important eye. The design eye. The ability to, "see the tree".

Much of it is meditative.
There is a discipline required.

It's cyclical, with an absolute starting point that fluctuates.

I think it is as simple as.....

Obtain material.
Remove what is not the "tree".
Smartprune what is left to Proper Nexts.
Wait.
(Everything we will further talk about)
Guide the tree into future design by continuing to remove what is not the tree, and Smartpruning what's left back to Proper Nexts.

Horticultural Timing depends on your calendar. I'm coming up with a universal calender to use.

There is another section of timing, Design Timing, that is to allow for appropriate thicknesses, and divisions, before cutting.

The separation of these 2 timings is never spoke of, that's why our trees suck in general. We don't pay attention to the next level of detail.

I think each task before the next, is poking us in our Third Eye, and in trying to move through the cycle so fast, we don't execute anything appropriately.

So if we fix each one before, in its entirety, we will begin to see easier.

I have been attempting to keep my scale search eye focused and systematic, by holding the tree from one angle, and searching the entire tree, from four low angles and four high. Then going over each branch individually from the same, or appropriate 8 angles. This way I'm sure nothing is left.

I think searching a dry tree is easier, since scale shines a bit. Though both a dry search, and a wet search could be useful.
Of course, centipedes in the soil to eat the crawler stage scale.

Do you have a systematic approach to anything?

Ever get distracted?

If the unfinished task of falling petioles poke a third eye...
What things poke our design eye?

There has to be things that break our focus when trying to "see the tree".
Also, since "seeing the tree" is usually met with no great sense of urgency, it doesn't get the focus it deserves.

I also believe it doesn't deserve any focus.

Since "remove what is not the tree", can be absolutely anything, and still turn out good if we understand good branching, and "smartprune the rest back to Proper nexts".

In Complication, we'll find Simplicity.

Say Everything.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's easy to stray from the visual mission.

Just a while ago, I was looking for scale on my little naked Ben, an easy enough task. Then I got caught up in the petioles of cut leaves falling off, and lost my place, in the systematic search for scale.

Sucks to have to start over.

How to remain focused on the one task?

Since other tasks certainly get in the way, if not also dealt with. Systematically.

Objective?
Understand how these unmanaged tasks may get in the way, or cloud the vision of, that all important eye. The design eye. The ability to, "see the tree".

Much of it is meditative.
There is a discipline required.

It's cyclical, with an absolute starting point that fluctuates.

I think it is as simple as.....

Obtain material.
Remove what is not the "tree".
Smartprune what is left to Proper Nexts.
Wait.
(Everything we will further talk about)
Guide the tree into future design by continuing to remove what is not the tree, and Smartpruning what's left back to Proper Nexts.

Horticultural Timing depends on your calendar. I'm coming up with a universal calender to use.

There is another section of timing, Design Timing, that is to allow for appropriate thicknesses, and divisions, before cutting.

The separation of these 2 timings is never spoke of, that's why our trees suck in general. We don't pay attention to the next level of detail.

I think each task before the next, is poking us in our Third Eye, and in trying to move through the cycle so fast, we don't execute anything appropriately.

So if we fix each one before, in its entirety, we will begin to see easier.

I have been attempting to keep my scale search eye focused and systematic, by holding the tree from one angle, and searching the entire tree, from four low angles and four high. Then going over each branch individually from the same, or appropriate 8 angles. This way I'm sure nothing is left.

I think searching a dry tree is easier, since scale shines a bit. Though both a dry search, and a wet search could be useful.
Of course, centipedes in the soil to eat the crawler stage scale.

Do you have a systematic approach to anything?

Ever get distracted?

If the unfinished task of falling petioles poke a third eye...
What things poke our design eye?

There has to be things that break our focus when trying to "see the tree".
Also, since "seeing the tree" is usually met with no great sense of urgency, it doesn't get the focus it deserves.

I also believe it doesn't deserve any focus.

Since "remove what is not the tree", can be absolutely anything, and still turn out good if we understand good branching, and "smartprune the rest back to Proper nexts".

In Complication, we'll find Simplicity.

Say Everything.

Sorce

....perfect.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sensory depravation-based meditation is very beneficial for “defining personal clarity”. It’s “the bees knees” (for lack of a more currently amusing phrase) and becomes very absurd, delineated and even disturbing upon “breaking through”

Internal mantra-based meditation has proven itself a worthy practice... however can be limiting when forced to choose “the mantra” over expansion whilst “in the ether”, but is really the “Eel’s ankles” (ditto) for a more novice practitioner or a “more shallow” trek.

Now creative visualization-driven meditation? .. THAT, my friends..is “the elephant’s instep” 🤦🏼‍♂️.... and once you become more skilled and versed in “this world”.. it becomes your (my) go-to. It’s definitely in your best interest to “hone” meditation skills in general... it will improve the quality of your life... I promise.

Vision quest and entheogenic chemical induced trance is ALSO considered, by me, to be “the snake’s hip” (not sure if that’s ACTUALLY “one”... but I think I’ve heard it)... buuut it’s more-so “just for fun” (negating the ENTIRE purpose).. simply because; If you are “good” enough at meditation... self-poisoning is not necessary (as often) ;)... it IS a grand endeavor (which I support).. and can offer a slightly more full-bodied spiritual journey... but you can get back there through meditation... as long as no one stole your bread crumbs.

;) ;) ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Evaluation third eye, evaluation is key. I don't call it getting sidetrack. Ones view needs to be full on. Looking for one thing can evolve into another situation at any time.

I've come to be patient, evaluate the tree. Especially a new one coming to my bench gets a month to acclimate before I even consider working it. But, the tree will tell a person a lot. What is the condition it's in...if it's been thriving in a root bound pot, poor substrate, or other first overall opinions. So many are rushed to "fix" something they think an issue. But is it really? Is the tree declining and in poor health? If it's healthy...I don't rush to do anything. I learn to gauge my watering...

Evaluation/third eye should take in the whole tree...in my opinion. Or you could overlook something else you hadn't expected. Seven years in...I've grew patient...I've grown to evaluate...then listen to what it tells me. I no longer rush...it's not a race to a finish line, but a long time commitment to a new friend.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Guys do you an Atelier for Art in your area ?

You are looking for an Ives Gammell, Richard Lack, Daniel Graves
or Charles Cecil student.
Good Day
Anthony

There is a couple great local studios/workshops that JUST closed their doors since February.

Jabberwocky was within “foot traffic”distance from my house and offered exploratory, immersive paintings with mingled through wall, ceiling, floor ect.. it was a very neat place. :(

James May Gallery North AND south just shut down since February, also. :( The exhibits featured were almost always “concept pieces” in their entirety. Very experimental, however, the “house” artist/owner’s work was.. almost macabre surrealism.. but ENTIRELY of her own.. neat stuff..offering a interesting contrast.

Thanks, @Anthony , as even some of those ARTISTS I had not heard of, much less their students. I will “scribble that in MY book.”

Top Bottom