Third Time is the Charm, UPS Sucks Monkey Nuts, and Does Anyone Need a Couple of Giant Kintsugi Projects

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Local pick up only, and yes, I said "monkey nuts". I apologize to any simiens who might have been perusing Bnut and read that title and got offended.

Well I needed a large pot for Clumpy, my bald cypress clump. So I found one on amazon, of all places, and ordered it, it is a 24" oval. I took three tries to get one that was not broken due to UPS being completely awful with their handling of the package. I mean, the were packed very well, actually completely encased in spray foam. UPS actually had to try to break them.

So, if you need a couple of kintsugi projects and don't mind picking them up, come and see me.

Pot one:

20210210_191708-1.jpg

20210210_191751-1.jpg

20210210_191838-1.jpg

Pot #2

20210226_185154-1.jpg

20210226_185247-1.jpg

Pot #320210319_155928-1.jpg

20210319_155936-1.jpg

20210319_160031-1.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really like the pot.

But that sprayfoam may be too stiff to not have any other soft layer inbetween.

Really? REALLY? Who could be dumb enough to actually believe that? Bad handling indeed!

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Really? REALLY? Who could be dumb enough to actually believe that? Bad handling indeed!
Well ... I've packed some pretty delicate things for shipping and I'll just say I wouldn't have been comfortable sending those pots out in that shallow of a box with just spray foam. Spray foam is not a great shock absorber unless it's REALLY thick. But yes, it absolutely must've been dropped. It was badly handled. A good packer expects it to be dropped and packs it to survive that. A tragedy to be sure. I would be pissed both at the shipper and UPS. That's really a massive bummer, Mellow Mullet. 😢

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really like the pot.

Agreed. Polyurethane foam can become pretty rigid and while it can dampen the fall of something, it will transfer the mechanical stress through the center of the structure simply because the expansion of the stuff creates a pretty solid case around something.
Cover a sheet of glass in this type of foam, and it'll probably survive a horizontal fall on a flat surface once or twice. Let it hit something at an angle, and there'll be shards everywhere.

Not to forget the force of the expansion..
We used this type of foam to insulate our garage, we sprayed it into holes between wall panels. It literally bent and broke a few trespa/HPL wall panels clean off when it expanded and hardened. That's a force comparable to a human standing on it.

I'd blame both the sender as well as the shipping company. But that doesn't magically repair that pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least we know what a 24Case size pot looks like!
Dixie needs some friends in that pool!

insulate our garage

There are different ratings, this packing stuff isn't so expandable, then again, I don't think this was the packing stuff.

I been cutting up the legit spray into bag expandable shipping foam my kiln shelves came in, even that has strings of harder foam.

One string of harder foam is like a hammer.

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.” -Confucius

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would pay the freight charges for that pot. Or pieces thereof.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Just checked out Clumpy's progression - sweet! Can't wait to see Clumpy in his new container. Hopefully Pot #3 didn't arrive too late to do the repot?

I suppose this is the reason that some vendors are hesitant to ship pots over ~12-14".

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Really like the pot.

I think that it might could have used more foam, bot it was packed reasonably enough to make it if weren't for the poor handling in shipping.

I work in a large lab and most of our glassware, some custom made, is shipped this way. Instruments that are 10's of thousands of dollars also arrive this way. I don't think the manufactures would ship this way if it was not secure.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just checked out Clumpy's progression - sweet! Can't wait to see Clumpy in his new container. Hopefully Pot #3 didn't arrive too late to do the repot?

I suppose this is the reason that some vendors are hesitant to ship pots over ~12-14".
I think is too late.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
At least we know what a 24Case size pot looks like!
Dixie needs some friends in that pool!

There are different ratings, this packing stuff isn't so expandable, then again, I don't think this was the packing stuff.

I been cutting up the legit spray into bag expandable shipping foam my kiln shelves came in, even that has strings of harder foam.

One string of harder foam is like a hammer.

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.” -Confucius

Sorce
I think it might hold 2 cases, plus ice.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well ... I've packed some pretty delicate things for shipping and I'll just say I wouldn't have been comfortable sending those pots out in that shallow of a box with just spray foam. Spray foam is not a great shock absorber unless it's REALLY thick. But yes, it absolutely must've been dropped. It was badly handled. A good packer expects it to be dropped and packs it to survive that. A tragedy to be sure. I would be pissed both at the shipper and UPS. That's really a massive bummer, Mellow Mullet. 😢
The shipper made it right, it took him three tries. I would buy from him again.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would, but I am not sure how much more cooler weather we will have, this time of year is iffy here, it might stay cool through April, or next week it might be upper 80's. so to play it safe, I think I will wait. It also has several knees developing and it will give them a little more time to establish.

Top Bottom