This afternoon my pots are empty, they were full this morning.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FYI: It is illegal in California to relocate any wildlife, including squirrels.

I would rather relocate them than kill them. I'll take my chances that the law enforcement community has bigger priorities on their plate than someone moving a squirrel from their yard back into the national forest :)

Punky

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would rather relocate them than kill them. I'll take my chances that the law enforcement community has bigger priorities on their plate than someone moving a squirrel from their yard back into the national forest :)

The reason for the law is that you are always making your problem somebody else’s problem, and you are accelerating the spread of diseases. It’s not a stupid law and the penalties can be severe. Department of Fish and Wildlife have real guns and badges and this is exactly what they spend all of their time trying to prevent.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Greenhouse shading is what I use, often tucked under the pot. Used in conjunction with with some chopped sphagnum on top I often find roots popping at nebari level.

If you want to be cheap and I don't know if it's the same in the States you can use and cut up the mesh bags greengrocers use for vegetables like carrots, etc. Most of the time they're free if you ask.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When we get constrictors, mice, turtles, we release them in the
wild [ area near a river in a canefield ]
Trinidad is about 30 x 50 mls.

No need to near a forest/Jungles.

Plus the heart of San Fernando is dominated by a 600 foot tall
hill, x acres and much wild life breeds there.
Squirrels come down to forage in the old neighbourhoods.
They have however never learnt to eat peanuts, cocoa, yes, but not
peanuts.

Trees feed birds and they do not seem to recognize our bonsai
soil mix of gravel / brick as a foraging medium.
When you use 7 to 9 parts inorganic to 3 to 1 part organic [ aged compost ]
the compost quickly sinks under the inorganic.

Looks like a pile of stones.

Good Day
Anthony

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had this problem in Wisconsin. Now the birds I have seem to be wrens, warblers, nuthatch, etc. They patrol my trees looking for bugs but don't seem to bother anything. Guess I'll consider myself lucky.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The hawks that circle in my neighborhood keep the squirrels and other birds low. My neighbor has full birdfeeders all the time so food is easily at hand there.

Got some birds taking sphagnum from the trees this spring but after nesting that was done with... i found that leaving some of my longer grass clippings from mowing about deterred them from taking sphagnum... they prefer the thatch from the grass stalks for some reason.

Top Bottom