This heat is killing me,,,,and my trees

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have too many trees,,,,so occasionally I miss the correct watering and in this heat wave that is critical.
So,,,one of my favorite variegated Elms dried most of its leaves,,,,I think it will survive but does anyone have any recommendations for treating this,
Is it better to let all the leaves fall off naturally of should I defoliate it dried leaves,,,

Reaction score
first thing I would do is sit it in a tub of water almost up to the top of the soil... leave it there for a good couple of hours, then take it out, and remove the dead leaves. Then sit it in the shade for a week or two, till buds start popping, then move it towards more sun...
If watering is becoming a prob... one might suggest a down sizing in the amount of one's trees???

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
first thing I would do is sit it in a tub of water almost up to the top of the soil... leave it there for a good couple of hours, then take it out, and remove the dead leaves. Then sit it in the shade for a week or two, till buds start popping, then move it towards more sun...
If watering is becoming a prob... one might suggest a down sizing in the amount of one's trees???

Sounds like good advice to me.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shade! Keep the roots moist, but not wet. When it starts to pop new buds try to keep it under shade cloth or under a landscape tree so that it gets indirect or "dappled" sunshine.

Consider an automatic sprinkler for your trees. I live in Southern California and it is the only way I can take vacation :)

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,,,,,I will keep you posted....

Reaction score
sorry, I agree with B-Nut... when I come across a plant of mine that is severely dihidrated, with possible risk of dying, I put it in a tub of water... If the leaves are just wilting, I just water it and put it in the shade...
sorry, my bad, should have been a little more specific???

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was 104 here in NYC, I changed the automatic watering from once a day to 4 times a day and my trees are all looking good. I really recommend a drip system. I installed one two years ago and can now feel calm when I am at work or away on a really hot day. Once I got the right size drip emitters for each tree worked out it works great.

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was 104 here in NYC, I changed the automatic watering from once a day to 4 times a day and my trees are all looking good. I really recommend a drip system. I installed one two years ago and can now feel calm when I am at work or away on a really hot day. Once I got the right size drip emitters for each tree worked out it works great.

Do you mind sharing your set up. I almost bought a set up last year but was hesitant with purchasing do to the timers reliability. What are your experiences with the timer.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My water is first run through a sediment and then a carbon filter (I use the GE carbon filters as they clog up much slower then others I have used) Then I connect to four single orbit timers after a pressure gauge. Two reasons: 1- if a timer goes it will affect 25% of my trees as opposed to all of them. 2- water pressure (which will continually drop as the filter is used).

My filters, pressure gauge, timers and shut off valves are in my greenhouse so I can leave them connected in the winter.I use 1/2" main line and then go out to each pot with 1/4" to the emitters.

I use emitters of 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 3.0 and 4.0 liter per hour and have them run for 6 minutes so that the pots get heavily watered. If the pot is large I will use two emitters with smaller outputs to make the watering more even. Make sure the emitters are held in place firmly as birds and (i hate them) squirrels occasionally displace them. I found that its good practice to check that they are in place daily.... yes I lost a tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not to belabor the point, but you can set up a relatively effective sprinkler system for about $100 - $200 depending how much PVC you have to run, and fittings you have to use. I do not use individual drip irrigation, but cover the entire area in a fine spray twice per day in the Summer, and once per day in the Winter (southern california). They only time I have problems is when my "gardeners" decide to turn the sprinklers around so they spray the grass instead of my trees :)

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
drip systems are cheap, and very customizable... I picked up some stuff at Home Depot this spring, spent a total of about 60 bucks plus a filter. Mine are not on an automatic timer, but I do have shutoff valves through the system so all I have to do is turn a hose on.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not to belabor the point, but you can set up a relatively effective sprinkler system for about $100 - $200 depending how much PVC you have to run, and fittings you have to use.

Minus the filters (which I would use anyway) my system cost right around $200. The timers were about $25 each. PVC and emitters are very inexpensive.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do anyone have pictures of there drip system setup?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shade is definitely your answer short term (for this tree) and the aforementioned automatic drip/sprinkler system is literally a life saver for your future bonsai hobby (provided you have very free draining substrate). It doesn't have to be expensive but it will save you headaches. No matter how fancy it is ,always remember, it isn't a fail safe. You still need to go check everything once daily. For me this is one of the best parts of the day.....Its called putzing.

Last edited:

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spent $60 for a pvc misting system you can put together and modify easily with 10 nozzles and with capability for more. Drip systems work great but could be a pain if you have lots of trees like me. Plus the mist keeps the leaves from drying out in the intense dry heat. I have it on a cheap timer and have it set for twice a day inside a cloth covered cold frame. My Japanese maple seedlings were dropping like flies in the years before and now have done very well. Have had it for 3 summers now and it works great. A filter is recommended, but I didn't get one since I keep my hose connected to it so no gunk has a chance to get in. We are forecasted for a high for 2 days straight of 108 next week with the lowest high of 102.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/mist.shtml

Last edited:

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A misting system was my first thought but here in NY the breeze often will mist the neighbor down the block and miss my trees. I preferred to make sure the water got in the pot.

Top Bottom