This is all your fault

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
All of you with all your pretty pictures and enabling... This is what I've been doing the last couple days. The larch is wild harvested, the rest are nursery stock

Attachments

• DSCN1010.JPG
    DSCN1010.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN1013.JPG
    DSCN1013.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN1014.JPG
    DSCN1014.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN1015.JPG
    DSCN1015.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1016.JPG
    DSCN1016.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN1018.JPG
    DSCN1018.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 97

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Oh, the big leaved maples are something I dug. I thought they were rock mt maple but they seem to be different. They are my practice maples.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks, its been fun but quite a lot of work. The burning bush does look nice doesn't it, I'm afraid to cut it any more lol. You should have seen the juneberry before I went chop crazy on it, it was a perfect tree shape. I'm really kicking myself for cutting it so much.

The amur doesn't have anything nice for nebari, I see root grafts in the future or maybe I'll just stick it in the yard if it survives the root pruning I did.

Any ideas about the plum? I have a idea forming but I don't quite trust myself with shaping yet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
burning bush does look nice doesn't it, I'm afraid to cut it any more

I'm mourning mine....and this time...it is your fault!

I would go slow....

Nice lil collection you got going!

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
HA! I win:)

I'm leaving it be for now, just going to let it grow after my "I got carried away and really chopped the roots". I'll probably remove a few tiny branches in a couple weeks but no major shaping this season.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have cut the burning bush way back...they are pretty tough and I doubt you'll be able to use most of that growth in a final design.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You may need to sit down...I think I have a diangosis for you...you've got CHAD...just to warn you...My nursery gal said they went to a conference and that there is a term. CHAD- Compulsive Horticulture Acquisition Disorder. I really struggle to keep my totals down. So I'm not overwelmed...since I love to also work in my own landscape. I wish to balance the two...so I enjoy the best of both worlds. But many have hundreds of bonsai material and can handle it. Wishing you fun and enjoyment on your journey.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yes, I am sick, I can feel it:)

I have other plants too but they are either sticks in pots I'm ashamed to show or are cuttings I'm rooting. I also have two pink mimosa trees and a variegated silverberry coming Fedex today. That's not counting the native trees I'm hoping to acquire, especially a hemlock but I have to get up high for them and its still muddy and possibly snowy up high.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hemlocks are a challenge to collect if I'm not mistaken I've heard ones say. I had a decent sized one given to me by a landscape business that was never out of its larger nursery pot. Chopped it last year after getting it healthier...

Mimosa...are interesting...if I hadn't lost a few tropical trees over one hiccup a few winters ago. I would be all over one. But...I'm trying to stack the deck in my favor with tree selections. Wish you the best...and please share when they arrive.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Luckily the area where hemlocks grow has nice soft soil so they should be easy to dig and get plenty of soil with the roots. I'll bring pots with me so I can get them potted directly.
The mimosa was cheap, $5 each from a online place so I figured I might as well try since I was already ordering other things from them. I plan on one going in the yard, the other going into a pot.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You may need to sit down...I think I have a diangosis for you...you've got CHAD...just to warn you...My nursery gal said they went to a conference and that there is a term. CHAD- Compulsive Horticulture Acquisition Disorder. I really struggle to keep my totals down. So I'm not overwelmed...since I love to also work in my own landscape. I wish to balance the two...so I enjoy the best of both worlds. But many have hundreds of bonsai material and can handle it. Wishing you fun and enjoyment on your journey.
That explains it! I HAD to buy two trees yesterday. Couldnt pass'em up. I like that, CHAD. The only treatment is more trees!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also known as reckless acquisition syndrome...the period in your bonsai life when every cheap tree looks like a potential masterpiece (and most wind up in your yard).

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also known as reckless acquisition syndrome...the period in your bonsai life when every cheap tree looks like a potential masterpiece (and most wind up in your yard).

They make good practice material to beat up on once you realize, though. =)

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Oh, I realized it when I was buying them but they came home anyways. The maple especially but for $25 I really couldn't pass it up.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All of you with all your pretty pictures and enabling... This is what I've been doing the last couple days. The larch is wild harvested, the rest are nursery stock
What is that twisty little thing in the right of pic 2?

Top Bottom