this is my first year without a greenhouse outside

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do not see a lot of my maples and other deciduos trees growing any leaves is it still too early or what? I cannot figure it out my quince is usually first to leaf out and nothing yet and I also have a few willows who have not leafed out yet and some have. We had a pretty mild winter and only in december did it get bad. can anyone tell me or not?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do the buds look? There are many ways to discern the health of a woody plant when they are dormant. Buds, the condition of the bark, especially on the more tender twigs, checking the roots, scratch test. Naturally things leaf out slower when exposed than in a greenhouse. If your winters are mild I wouldn't worry about cold damage on deciduous trees usually.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How do the buds look? There are many ways to discern the health of a woody plant when they are dormant. Buds, the condition of the bark, especially on the more tender twigs, checking the roots, scratch test. Naturally things leaf out slower when exposed than in a greenhouse. If your winters are mild I wouldn't worry about cold damage on deciduous trees usually.
Thankyou!!!

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do not see a lot of my maples and other deciduos trees growing any leaves is it still too early or what? I cannot figure it out my quince is usually first to leaf out and nothing yet and I also have a few willows who have not leafed out yet and some have. We had a pretty mild winter and only in december did it get bad. can anyone tell me or not?
My little maples are just starting to show life now. Acer Rubrum are pushing out a few leaves but my acer palmatum aren't doing much of anything just yet.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you often have wind in your garden ? it can stunt JM growth (JM hate wind)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
JM do not do well here, or at least historically I live north of the area where JM are common as landscape trees. Only 'Bloodgood' is occasionally seen planted in my area. Our winters get too cold, Or at least used to get too cold. Lately my winters are more like what I would expect in Memphis than Chicago. There are few or no large 'Bloodgood' in landscapes near me, they get winterkilled. Either branch die back that keeps them short and shrubby or complete kill.

Locally I have enough buildings (I'm in a city, with small city lots) and street trees, that wind is not a serious issue.

Top Bottom