THIS is what happens to a refined pine when...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You don’t decandle:

9E457E6E-ED72-48FB-A856-887899EA7733.jpeg

Oh! The humanity! Six years of tedious refinement - wasted! It used to have 3/4 inch needles! :confused: Everywhere! It was balanced! (Well, it still is balanced. ;))

What am I going to do? I’ll have to, gasp!, start over! OMG!!!

Another 6 years of needle pulling, wiring, decandling... I don’t know if I will be able to bear it!

And the name calling I’ll suffer... I can hear it now, “green helmet”, “cookie cutter”... it’s, it’s almost too much!

Maybe I should just to to Lowe’s and get something from there, and leave all these refined trees to their devices. You see, they don’t care about me! They don’t care that I’ve spent the past 6 years slaving over them! Plucking old needles, thinning new shoots to pairs, wiring and unwiring, assuring every twig gets sun exposure! Do they care? Hrumph! I let them go for 5 months, not even a half a year... you would think that the trees would have learned by now, but, Nooooo... they go off and grow long needles! As a show of defiance!

Some gratitude they show me! :( I’ve taken them to the best of shows. Let them meet the most influentual people in bonsai.

Ha! They showed me, huh?

Well, I’ll have the last laugh! Next spring, I’m taking away your fancy show pot! I’m putting you back into the Chinese training pot! What about that?!? We’ll see how fuzzy you look after a good needle pulling and wiring this fall! I’ll show you, Buster!

:):):)

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't try and fool us! That tree is obviously still in training. It is so rough that it never could have been refined before ...;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure that was the tree Adair had in the last National exhibition.

Listen, I think that pine needs a good lesson. Bring it up to Rochester next month and I'll be happy to subject it to a few Rochester winters. That'll teach it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm pretty sure that was the tree Adair had in the last National exhibition.

Listen, I think that pine needs a good lesson. Bring it up to Rochester next month and I'll be happy to subject it to a few Rochester winters. That'll teach it!
Lol!!!

Oh, lord, I don’t want to KILL it! Lol!!!

No, after 6 years of intense refinement, I cut it back pretty hard last spring. Shortened a lot of branches. I probably removed at least 1/2 of the foliage. And all the wire.

So, letting it go this summer and make long needles will strengthen it up for another round of refinement. Since it had been so highly refined, the candles didn’t really grow long. Only 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The needles did, but they don’t matter. Actually, long needles will just provide more sugar, and make the tree stronger over the winter.

The plan for the fall is thin new shoots if necessary, pull old needles, and wire.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You don’t decandle:

View attachment 207253

Oh! The humanity! Six years of tedious refinement - wasted! It used to have 3/4 inch needles! :confused: Everywhere! It was balanced! (Well, it still is balanced. ;))

What am I going to do? I’ll have to, gasp!, start over! OMG!!!

Another 6 years of needle pulling, wiring, decandling... I don’t know if I will be able to bear it!

And the name calling I’ll suffer... I can hear it now, “green helmet”, “cookie cutter”... it’s, it’s almost too much!

Maybe I should just to to Lowe’s and get something from there, and leave all these refined trees to their devices. You see, they don’t care about me! They don’t care that I’ve spent the past 6 years slaving over them! Plucking old needles, thinning new shoots to pairs, wiring and unwiring, assuring every twig gets sun exposure! Do they care? Hrumph! I let them go for 5 months, not even a half a year... you would think that the trees would have learned by now, but, Nooooo... they go off and grow long needles! As a show of defiance!

Some gratitude they show me! :( I’ve taken them to the best of shows. Let them meet the most influentual people in bonsai.

Ha! They showed me, huh?

Well, I’ll have the last laugh! Next spring, I’m taking away your fancy show pot! I’m putting you back into the Chinese training pot! What about that?!? We’ll see how fuzzy you look after a good needle pulling and wiring this fall! I’ll show you, Buster!

:):):)
If you’re going to go this far, at least show the unedited photo!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you should set it out by road and forget about it. ;)

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful. Looks really healthy!.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
whats the plant in the little pot next to it?

Do you have an accent for each pine you have? o_O
Sedum.

I don’t have an accent for every tree, but I’m trying to have more placed randomly about the trees. Adds a little color and interest.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess it's the iPhone blurry background photo effect that looks mehh...
Well, you are a good photographer. I’m not. I thought using the iPhone portrait mode would “mute” the background enough so you could just focus on the tree. It was just a quick snapshot. No attempt was made to produce a studio quality picture!

The story I wanted to tell is it’s a good idea to give your highly refined trees a year off every once in a while to build strength for the next round.

This is how you can continue to improve the tree over the long term.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And those who feel a show specimen tree is no work! ?
You cannot keep a tree like a JBP in show ready condition eternally and keep it alive. This is the down side of bonsai with this variety of Pine. I have seen this tree in person and the needle length was amazing as was the ramification. If you have not grown one of these guys you have no clue how difficult getting a tree to this stage is. Most people don't have the knowledge to do it or the commitment to work the process through to the end including letting the tree run wild to regain strength. I think Adair has done a spectacular job on this tree and is sharing the other side of the coin.

Top Bottom