This is why I hate ebay

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same seller for both of those. Good luck getting them shipped all in one piece.

they are worth what the market will bear, but I doubt anyone is going to pay that kind of cash for either. then again...

Ebay is a crap shoot. Excellent material to pirate-priced crappola like this. If you're a beginner, Ebay is no place for bargains...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Same seller for both of those. Good luck getting them shipped all in one piece.

they are worth what the market will bear, but I doubt anyone is going to pay that kind of cash for either. then again...

Ebay is a crap shoot. Excellent material to pirate-priced crappola like this. If you're a beginner, Ebay is no place for bargains...
I wouldn’t say eBay is a crap shoot at all. It’s pretty easy to check a sellers feedback percentage or even read the actual feedback. I go for sellers that thrive to keep 100% feedback! Plain and simple. And if it dosent seem like a good deal ,^^crap posted above^^ then don’t buy it. Look around a little.

I picked up a really fat sumo shohin parrots beak for $75 bucks that was very nice. Unfortunately I killed it that following winter due to under watering.

Shipping on the other hand can be a crap shoot though!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have seen great stuff on ebay, after sifting through a lot of "other" stuff. But the price always seems to get bid up a lot higher than I'd pay at All shapes or Nature's way. I mean by like double. I think some hobbyists just live in the middle of nowhere and that's the only option they have?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've purchased several nice trees from ebay, but all from Wigert's and they are a reputable seller. Only drawback is their shipping is a bit high.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn’t say eBay is a crap shoot at all. It’s pretty easy to check a sellers feedback percentage or even read the actual feedback. I go for sellers that thrive to keep 100% feedback! Plain and simple. And if it dosent seem like a good deal ,^^crap posted above^^ then don’t buy it. Look around a little.

I picked up a really fat sumo shohin parrots beak for $75 bucks that was very nice. Unfortunately I killed it that following winter due to under watering.

Shipping on the other hand can be a crap shoot though!
Yes. It is a crap shoot, particularly for beginners. they have no idea what they're paying for or what "crap" is. Define crap. Is $200 a "good deal" for those two trees, when the seller probably spent $15-$30 on the materials? A search over there today turned up ALOT of junk priced over $1,000...some people list $100 trees for $4,000 and godawful "imported" black pines for $5,000...the stuff between $30 and $100 wasn't all that special either....

Look, I have picked up some great stuff from Ebay myself, but I don't consider it a really great source of material if you haven't got a firm grasp of what's worth paying for and what is not.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my favorite thing about ebay, though, is access to seeds of rare japanese maples cultivars!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Blue-...205948?hash=item3b0bc00c7c:g:hWIAAOSwxT9a6xwJ

The description of the "not rare but unique" blue maple is priceless, as are the confusing pic of the package with the Belarus destination and the Hong Kong origin. and the seller telling you he is your friend...nothing fishy there....

Anyway the description:

"Good day. We are seller, and we are also your friend. We will try our best to provide better service for you. But if there is any problem after you buy, pls don’t forget to contact us first. We will solve the problem for you.
Thank u so much!
Rare Blue Maple Seeds Bonsai Tree Japanese Maple Seeds Small Maple For Home
Free Shipping
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Name: Potted Plant seeds 100% True Japanese Bule Maple Bonsai Tree Seeds, 20 Seeds / Pack, Very Beautiful Indoor Tree
Scope: Courtyard, garden, balcony, living room etc.
Tips: 100% of the true seed,depending on the species,climate,geography and other factors,
Not rare but unique, Bonsai Blue maple symbolizes magnificence, majesty, and mystique. Also known as Japanese maple, this elfish deciduous tree blends seamlessly into any interior leaving a room refreshed, stylish, and aesthetically pleasing. Japanese mini maples are notable for a high decorative value: their dissected leaves are sky blue in the summertime while in autumn they gain on extraordinarily bright, rich wine-purple color with numerous shades and nuances – the plant is marvelous all the year round!
Landscape designers and gardeners greatly appreciate Bonsai blue maples for their unpretentiousness and hardiness – just provide the plant with a bit acid soil and moist air and make sure the plant is not placed under direct sunlight – that is more than enough to feast your eyes on an exotic beauty of an original Japanese maple. If you live in a water-short area and feel you cannot afford an astonishing miniature Japanese rare blue maple, there is good news for you – the plant will thrive and blossom if thoroughly sprinkled with water twice a day, morning and evening.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a lot of reasons to hate eBay, but conversely, some of my best bonsai deals have been on eBay. I have been buying and selling on eBay for 19 years. It is certainly a buyer beware market but the discriminating buyer can do well.
I would be really surprised if either of this sold. Put it in your watch list and wait and see. Listing price does not mean selling price.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes. It is a crap shoot, particularly for beginners. they have no idea what they're paying for or what "crap" is. Define crap. Is $200 a "good deal" for those two trees, when the seller probably spent $15-$30 on the materials? A search over there today turned up ALOT of junk priced over $1,000...some people list $100 trees for $4,000 and godawful "imported" black pines for $5,000...the stuff between $30 and $100 wasn't all that special either....

Look, I have picked up some great stuff from Ebay myself, but I don't consider it a really great source of material if you haven't got a firm grasp of what's worth paying for and what is not.
I’d have to disagree. Definition of crap..... SHIT, plain and simple. Lol One can find over priced crap all over the internet, dosent mean the internet is a crap shoot when buying from a reputable dealer.... just like ebay. Maybe you had some bad experiences, but I do my homework first.

Wigert’s is a great example. No crap shooting here at all, along with many, many other reputable dealers!

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crapshoot: a risky or uncertain matter

Top Bottom