This JBP still have a chance?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had this JBP for almost 3 years now, originally bought online from a well known bonsai store, it came in a bonsai pot.

I moved it into this colander two years ago after seeing some stress/brown needles. I did notice brown rings in some needles, and some white stuff at end of the needles (not much though, needle scale?).

This spring it pushed out new growth everywhere, and back budding well too, but somehow it made a down turn 2,3 month ago, needles turn brown starting low branches.

Currently the top is still seems healthy - is there a chance I can save this tree? What I need to do?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220921_145509.jpg
    20220921_145509.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 138

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can you show more photos from the side and include some of the pot and soil? JBP needs a well draining mix

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What I need to do?
Get it out of that colendar for starters. The dead part was either sprayed with something, or is the result of root death on that side of the pot. Colendars are not friendly to roots, especially in hot climates. And they’re certainly not forgiving of less-than-ideal watering habits.
Slip-pot (transfer, no root disturbances) it into something with solid, rigid sides and good drainage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get it out of that colendar for starters. The dead part was either sprayed with something, or is the result of root death on that side of the pot. Colendars are not friendly to roots, especially in hot climates. And they’re certainly not forgiving of less-than-ideal watering habits.
Slip-pot (transfer, no root disturbances) it into something with solid, rigid sides and good drainage.
Thank you. I thought colander was the way to go. I think I learned it here, and that's why I slip potted it into this colander from its original bonsai pot. I guess I must have terribly misunderstood. Will slip-pot tomorrow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By the way, I did spray the tree with Neem oil (and another 3in1 product) on it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

3 wrongs won't make a right!

Slip Potting is a Never Ever....Ever....

That would have solved your initial into the colander issue, actually potting it correctly.

There are more particulars with colanders, they are not evil, just a lot to remember and learn.

IMO, death of Design is worse than death of tree, since the design is....close to dead, pot it right and if it dies....NEXT!

Slip Potting is for Losers!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
3 wrongs won't make a right!

Slip Potting is a Never Ever....Ever....

That would have solved your initial into the colander issue, actually potting it correctly.

There are more particulars with colanders, they are not evil, just a lot to remember and learn.

IMO, death of Design is worse than death of tree, since the design is....close to dead, pot it right and if it dies....NEXT!

Slip Potting is for Losers!

Sorce
So you suggest me to just do a normal repotting now, with root pruning and everything, then pray for the best?

Also I figured you're not against colander, any detail on how/when to use it?

Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By the way, I did spray the tree with Neem oil (and another 3in1 product) on it.
When did you apply the neem oil and did you put the tree in the shade when you did it or keep it in the sun?

Listen to advice given by @Brian Van Fleet.
He knows what he is doing with JBP and has a proven track record with them.
He has actually written a well known (in bonsai circles) book about it

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, yes and yes. Colanders for losers! "Proper" slip pot can be good done right. Oil sprays/too much sprays can be killers in Sun. Smarter to use grow box, pot for growing trunk/developing tree before refining work🧐. Tree seems to have some strength still. Clean up totally dead needles, CAREFULLY move into better container, H2O carefully, Keep in good Sun location/not shade except in hot afternoon(if still that sunny there)☺️. "Should" be OK.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is an important detail. Neem oil and other horticultural oils are typically known as dormant oils, used in winter as they reduce the effectiveness of the waxy coating on leaves and needles which prevents desiccation. They’re used in winter when the tree is dormant and when the sun isn’t so hot. Back to my original post: sprayed with something and the tree dried out. I’d still slip-pot it into a good container. It will make watering easier and increase your margin of error.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you suggest me to just do a normal repotting now, with root pruning and everything, then pray for the best?

Also I figured you're not against colander, any detail on how/when to use it?

Thanks

You might as well, or this whole ordeal will only have taught you things that aren't true.

You can use them however you like, just as long as you realize the TOOL that they are. Too much to type....but it's out there!

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my opinion...
I think the tree is fine... that means the roots are fine. The colander is not the problem and the soil looks good. The issue I think is the Neem oil you sprayed on the tree. The remaining green needles and the buds look good. I would suggest remove the dead needle and keep doing what you have been doing with the tree. Your location is no way hotter than us in Houston TX and I have all my pines in pond basket.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Colanders for losers!
Damn it... I guess Jonas, @markyscott and plenty of others are losers! 🤣

I don't think the colander was the issue, but probably a heavy application of neem oil in the summer. You could slip pot or do a fall repot, @Eric Schrader was doing some repotting now on some of his RoR and exposed roots JBP on development, and Brent Watson also recommends fall repotting for JBP with minimal root work. Or, you could leave it in the colander and maintain proper watering. The tree was weakened because of what happened, so I would opt for leaving it alone and keep good care of it unless it is root bound. Another option you could do now is to do what a lot of nurseries do in Japan, and get a bigger colander or a pot that will accommodate at least 1/2 the depth of that colander and fill it up with 1/4" lava and place the colander in it. Allowing some escape roots to develop into it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you all! Definitely learned something. Never thought Neem oil might be the main cause.
Also surprised to see different opinions about colander. I specifically bought these colanders two years ago thought it would help the trees.(somehow got that idea from this website) l have another Japanese white pine in it and it is doing great at this point.
I will repot this black pine (with none/ minimal root work)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some people don't like colanders because they don't understand how they work. They get the same results from a pot or their trees die, because they treat the colander like a pot, which is not. If you use a colander, you need to feed and water more often than you would in a pot. This is straight from Jonas descriptions. The few trees that I had in colanders last year had to be watered 3 times a day, and I had to place a small 1" saucer on the 2 deciduous and 1 evergreen I had because they were wilting between watering. The luma I had in it grew from a 1/4" cutting in a 4" pot to a 1.5" base in a growing season in a pond basket, the one I just received from Brent in a 1 gal container is around between 3/8"-1/2" thick... and it was grown at the nursery for an additional season. If you look at the progressions that Jonas accomplishes on his JBP it's ridiculous. It challenges growing in the ground for a shohin size tree.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Just out of curiosity… what were you applying the neem oil for?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Just for the record, some years ago I killed a corkbark JBP because I did spray it with Neem oil in the summer, *and left the tree in full sun afterwards*.
Lesson learned. Never again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just out of curiosity… what were you applying the neem oil for?
Well, I saw the white stuff at the needle sheath is kind of more than normal, just to be safe and I happened to have the oil on hand ...(while spraying other trees for insects)

Top Bottom