This morning

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
WTH is this? Giant centipede?
It had approximately a bazillion legs so I believe it was a millipede... just about 4 inches long and had a little hefty, too. They're predators...so wth was it lying in wait for in my little, shohin JBP on a bench 4 feet off the ground... song birds:oops:???

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That orchid is an Aussie native - Spiranthes sinensis. One of our many terrestrial orchids, this one loves wet places around the edges of swamps and springs
Those are doing very well over there.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That orchid is an Aussie native - Spiranthes sinensis. One of our many terrestrial orchids, this one loves wet places around the edges of swamps and springs
Those are doing very well over there.
Thanks for the ID. The blooms are amazing, so tiny with the spiral positioning. Now if only JBP would form branches in a spiral form.
The plant dies down in fall and survives our winters in a pot on the ground with no problems so far. I do keep it well watered with one emitter in the pot and free drainage soil. Mix of Kanuma, Akadama, Pumice, Lava and granite grit. I think it would make an amazing companion plant for a summer show, but it would likely outshine the Bonsai!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Spiral orchid blooms! Cannot remember the proper name. From cutting obtained from Boon in 2010. Adapted well to the climate change.View attachment 252019

Yep, I second Spiranthes sinensis. It is native to most or all of Southeast Asia, from eastern Russia, through Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, the Sunda Islands, Indonesia, Australia & New Zealand. Described from China in 1908 by Ames, it is a very wide spread, adaptable orchid. It has naturalized in Florida and many other countries.

It could or should have a light fragrance.

It is one of the few orchids capable of becoming an invasive species.

Supposed to be easy to grow, I killed mine that I bought in 2017. Go figure, supposed orchid expert could not keep it going.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The sp
Yep, I second Spiranthes sinensis. It is native to most or all of Southeast Asia, from eastern Russia, through Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, the Sunda Islands, Indonesia, Australia & New Zealand. Described from China in 1908 by Ames, it is a very wide spread, adaptable orchid. It has naturalized in Florida and many other countries.

It could or should have a light fragrance.

It is one of the few orchids capable of becoming an invasive species.

Supposed to be easy to grow, I killed mine that I bought in 2017. Go figure, supposed orchid expert could not keep it going.
The spiral orchids like to be with other plants. They don’t do so well in pots by themselves.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is true
The spiral orchids like to be with other plants. They don’t do so well in pots by themselves.

This is true. Spiranthes, Pectilis, Habenaria, Platanthera, and some Cypripediums all do better in pots when a not overly aggressive grass, such as prairie dropseed, or a small sedge is planted in the pot with them. Big bluestem, Andropogon, has proven too aggressive as an orchid companion. Most ferns cause problems for the orchids. But some of the smaller spleenworts, genus Asplenium, are not a problem.

So terrestrial orchids are good for true kusamono plantings, as the term means "grass planting".

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Well, spring is finally here, and truthfully, I didn't realize how attached I was to these little accents until I saw them growing and flowering this AM... the iris are GA natives and the dianthus came from my yard down there. That steep chunk of thin/crappy soil and rock was a hell of a difficult place to garden but I loved it just the same...

IMG_7130.jpgIMG_7129.jpgIMG_7128.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like your redbuds are blooming now, here the hydrangea and magnolias are starting!
Nice looking pots of GA.

Top Bottom