This old Yew

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was parusing the discount bin at a local nursery when I came upon this old Capitata yew. I was attracted to the sinuous trunk line and nice base. Unfortunately it's in ruff shape. It is completely root bound and the foliage yellowed. No sign if powdery mildew or spider mites. I'm planing to put it in the ground and get it on a regular rotation of fertilizer and fungicide. I want to give this thing the very best chance to survive next winter. If anyone has advice on restoring old nursery stock, I would be glad to hear it. Should I be looking at root stimulators, foliar applications of fertilizer or any other unusual measures? The tree is about 4' tall with a 2" trunk and a #10 pot.
Thanks for looking.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reaction score
m not an expert on old nursery stock but I have never found root stimulants to make any difference at all. Foliar feed yes that works and as your tree has yellow leaves a feed of cleated iron / micro nutrients will help. I would be inclined to then leave it until next spring and then try to at lease partially sort out the roots and spread them out, If in spring it still looks in trouble leave it a further year, Slowly is the best way to treat it. Good luck looks like it will be a nice tree

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking forward to your progression with this

It reminds me of my yew also neglected nursery tree

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why buy a sick tree?
I would leave it right where it is and move on.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why buy a sick tree?
I would leave it right where it is and move on.
It probably sick of being there.....
The one I have that was part of a yard hedge was all yellow and scraggly when I got it.... but now, in good soil, and in my care, it's a nice green and growing very strongly....I'm waiting for that slight bluish tint to show up ;) (been giving them a little acid lover's fert too)

Top Bottom