this one has me stumpped

soflobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello good people, I am new to the forum, but a collector and enthusiast for the past 35 years. I found this (pictured) in a nursery down in South FLorida a few years back, and it seems tropical, but likely not native, because I had never seen it before. I had the original specimen tagged for years but it got lost in the move and I cannot find out anything about it...could not reach or find the original nursery. Does anyone have an idea for a resource or just know directly what this is. Thanks in advance. Be safe and kind, Will20220703_142700.jpg20220703_142718.jpg

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wellcome!
Do the leaves have little white specs?....If so I would say it's a fukien tea, but I'm no expert so let's wait for those who really can help.

soflobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
no, it's not a Fuke; much smaller leave, sort of hooded, and a very compound leaf structure. Plus, very smooth trunk as you can see; the Fuke's have a very "corky" bark. Thank you though for the reply, and keep the faith in your collection. For me, I have to have an outlet to thin out my nursery stock occasionally, but I have such an attachment to all of my babies. The experimentation is part of the ongoing process, but it still hurts for every tree I lose one after more 35 years. I found a small nursery after I relocated to here in St. Pete, Fl where I am placing a few more pieces of my collection each week. We will start doing a "bonsai social" event beginning in a few weeks, so I am trying to grow the interest, and that has been a dream of mine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not native?

In south Florida you gotta embrace the New Native!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
no, it's not a Fuke; much smaller leave, sort of hooded, and a very compound leaf structure. Plus, very smooth trunk as you can see; the Fuke's have a very "corky" bark. Thank you though for the reply, and keep the faith in your collection. For me, I have to have an outlet to thin out my nursery stock occasionally, but I have such an attachment to all of my babies. The experimentation is part of the ongoing process, but it still hurts for every tree I lose one after more 35 years. I found a small nursery after I relocated to here in St. Pete, Fl where I am placing a few more pieces of my collection each week. We will start doing a "bonsai social" event beginning in a few weeks, so I am trying to grow the interest, and that has been a dream of mine.
Hi, what is the nursery in St. Pete. that you found?
Thank you.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It somehow reminds me of my Dovyalis caffra (or aberia caffra), though it should have thorns, flowers and fruits (kei apple)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think its Nea buxifolia https://adamaskwhy.com/2013/05/20/neea-buxifolia-update/

20130521-081811.jpg

Wellcome to crazy!!

Tropical @sorce

Top Bottom