This one I picked myself ?

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This time I was able to pick this one for myself and ordered it from a grower in California. I am hoping I made a good choice ? It’s a Acer Palmatum ‘ Beni Schichenge ‘ now my question is should I wait a couple of days to slip pot it ? and since my trident maple forest are all full of fungus should I keep it as far away from those ? although I did what Smoke suggested and cut off all the leaves and sprayed them with Daconil. I know I need to let it continue to grow so I don’t plan on doing anything to for now.

Attachments

• 53A71FDC-8085-47D3-B939-86A627DFA973.jpeg
    53A71FDC-8085-47D3-B939-86A627DFA973.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 113
  • BBB46054-B893-44A6-81F4-B820EF107822.jpeg
    BBB46054-B893-44A6-81F4-B820EF107822.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 8FF4D962-6B32-4F83-9F5D-39EE4FD5814B.jpeg
    8FF4D962-6B32-4F83-9F5D-39EE4FD5814B.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 118

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, slip potting it won't be a problem but really it needs to go in the ground for a few years to pack on some mass. I'm not familiar with the variety 'Beni Schicenge' so I can't offer any insight on the choice for bonsai. Good luck!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I must say...if you have the room. Ground growing is much easier than tending a tree in a pot. The trunk thickens by far, by leaps and bounds in ground. I have one Amethyst Falls in ground for several years. It was a trained sucker. So will need ground layered at some point. But why rush the thickening. So it is still there. I had an experiment of same size sucker rooted in a pot. It stayed pencil thin. Grew in height but not really any significant girth of the trunk.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fungus on your tridents is environmental and not really viral or bacterial. I have stuff in training right near more finished trees and the fungus does not transfer although, it does tell me that the environment is bad if I let my guard down.

Beware of grafted maples, they never produce really great results. After maybe fifty or more years and really lucky, graft unions can look much better and virtually disappear. ......but, for the most part they never really grow at the same rate.

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How can I tell if this one is grafted ? I took a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• AFAB8139-F52C-4BE3-AB9E-DBB072AA4D36.jpeg
    AFAB8139-F52C-4BE3-AB9E-DBB072AA4D36.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 4CCFE24B-7184-4320-A50A-BC85F4C87ED7.jpeg
    4CCFE24B-7184-4320-A50A-BC85F4C87ED7.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 69

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It might be my inexperience, but the difference in bark being seperated by a ring-shape, makes it look like a graft.

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I just can’t seem to pick a good one and here I thought this one would work really well, well as they try try and keep trying you will eventually get it right ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That seems like false advertising to me. I'm highly allergic to that.
At least now you know what to look for ;-)

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Evergreen is a very reputable seller, I can't imagine they would sell grafted trees as cuttings. Its a odd base but it just doesn't quite look grafted to me and it wouldn't make sense to graft at a weird angle like that.

I would drop them a email, ask for clarification. Let them know you are getting opinions that its a grafted tree and thats not what you wanted. Send your pictures along with the email so they can see what the issue is.

Until you learn what is and isn't good material, it helps to posts pics before you order.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Indeed and ty I will learned ?
If you purchase trees from a bonsai specific nursery or vendor, this will be easier to navigate. You can get prebonsai stock that doesn't have grafts, and has been grown with thought toward movement in the trunk for the future tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Evergreen is a very reputable seller, I can't imagine they would sell grafted trees as cuttings.
If you look at the description from Evergreen, it specifically states grown from cuttings, not grafted. I think the person who posted that was only trying to give species specific care information to the OP by posting that from Evergreen.
EDIT:
But I went back and looked at the tag, and indeed it does say came from Evergreen. So I'm stumped. Perhaps it's just young bark, but does look grafted...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Specifically, they say there's "no graft union" which could mean the union should be invisible or the maples aren't not grafted at all. The text is misleading and can be interpreted in at least two ways.
I'm feeling itchy about it. I'd love to hear what they have to say about it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Specifically, they say there's "no graft union" which could mean the union should be invisible or the maples aren't not grafted at all. The text is misleading and can be interpreted in at least two ways.
I'm feeling itchy about it. I'd love to hear what they have to say about it.
Specifically, it says "Cutting grown plants, no graft union". How much clearer does it need to be?

The plants in question don't show any evidence of grafting to my eye.

Edit to add...I've purchased numerous plants from Brent and nothing has ever been misleading. He's a straight shooter.

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually went to them because I saw that someone on the forums recommended them, I read up a little on them and from everything that I read about them they had good comments about their products. He sent very detailed instructions on what and how to care for it for bonsai. I will email Brent and ask specifically if this is grafted or not and I will let you know what he says.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Specifically, it says "Cutting grown plants, no graft union". How much clearer does it need to be?

The plants in question don't show any evidence of grafting to my eye.

Edit to add...I've purchased numerous plants from Brent and nothing has ever been misleading. He's a straight shooter.

It's not impossible to graft cuttings to each other. It doesn't say non-grafted tree like with the one described above, it doesn't say this tree isn't grafted, it only states that the union isn't there. In the description of the maple above, it's clearly specified that those are non-grafted. In the one below, that piece of text is gone. As somebody who wrote content for travelling websites, that's something that rings a bell. It's how we screwed over customer care and insurance claims.
Plant related dictionaries aren't very clear in whether the union is "the point were scion and root base meet" (i.e a general description of a graft) or "A graft union is the anatomy which is formed when grafting a rootstock to a scion." (to me meaning protruding callous material). If you search for 'bad graft union' you'll see that there are some clear examples of what a union semantically is to some people.
We could play this game of semantics for quite some time. I'm not a native English speaker, you'd probably win that argument any day of the week.
I hope I'm wrong. I want bonsai stores to surprise me with their works, and if it's not a graft, it's an extreme bend that deserves appreciation and some mad credits! But somehow I feel like this has a high chance of being a graft. There's something peculiar about it. It never hurts to question that, I think. Since it's drawing attention, and that's something we do/don't want in bonsai, right?

I'm sure Brent is a straight up guy, and I wish him all the happy customers he ever wants. But this entire thread and discussion could have been averted if he just copy pasted some text. He might have a overly enthusiast webpage writer pulling stuff like I did when I was a content generator, I don't know. I'm just connecting the dots, because I have placed those dots, and many like it, myself back in the days.
I'll keep my mouth shut until there's a consensus.

And yes, I'll come and apologize if it's not a graft.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
1528399944092.png
Looks like a graft to my untrained eyes. The abrupt bark change where you see the divide and peculiar angle suggest a graft.

But if the understock pop buds, let it grow. Then you'll know for sure.

Top Bottom