This warm weather...and possibly 75 Tuesday...is having things moving in the cold greenhouse.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Undeniable...I have things waking up. They are not as far along as my landscape things...so that shows me that the greenhouse and pulling in night temps helped keep them dormant a bit longer than in my landscape. Wisteria is just now...showing signs of buds moving on a few...Chinese quince is waking up...as is the Bald Cypress. Watching that mame contest tree closely...for repotting time. Wisteria will be going into the commissioned pot from Sonny Boggs...can't wait!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
remove the inside branches, and i'm in full repotting mode myself. Weird weather these days

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
remove the inside branches, and i'm in full repotting mode myself. Weird weather these days
Thanks...Yes...my spring colors in the landscape are going to suffer...I have buds swollen...and on one...leaves opening. I can't really do much for them...snow can protect them. But...we have seen more ice this winter than snow. It is what it is...I see less color. My cone flowers are popping up...I have not had that before.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That surprises me Darlene. I would think NE Ohio would generally be a bit colder than SE PA, yet I have not seen a single plant/tree even hinting at growth yet here.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got bud pushing here today on things tucked into the north foundation. Surprising. Repotted a couple today knowing Ill be shuffeling. 75 tomorrow,

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That surprises me Darlene. I would think NE Ohio would generally be a bit colder than SE PA, yet I have not seen a single plant/tree even hinting at growth yet here.

It is shocking..l live in a microclimate where things usually bloom later in my flowerbeds.
My cone flowers are coming up...way to early!!!
And buds on my lilac...in landscape.
image.jpg

And a shrub in the landscape...
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is this your thermatically controlled building ? Or a separate cold frame ?

I don't have a separate cold frame,just a controlled building...I set this out to get some air...it was 60's today...75F tomorrow. Chinese quince are usually first to move. I know my Japanese quince is always early as well. Bald Cypress...can't recall if it came later or not. But it's just starting. Will be repotting this week. And watching the wisteria...it's not moving but one bud just now. So waiting on it to swell a bit more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
NE Ohio checking in. Amur buds are swelling and I got massive amounts of back buds popping out of older wood. Juniper tips have changed color and started to grow, ditto for my Hinoki. My garage has been oddly stable at 40 wether it’s been 11 or 45 degrees, but the current forecast looks promising.

I wish it was closer to our frost free time. Probably will need to watch until April.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
NE Ohio checking in. Amur buds are swelling and I got massive amounts of back buds popping out of older wood. Juniper tips have changed color and started to grow, ditto for my Hinoki. My garage has been oddly stable at 40 wether it’s been 11 or 45 degrees, but the current forecast looks promising.

I wish it was closer to our frost free time. Probably will need to watch until April.

As one who plays in the landscape. Our rule of thumb here is...never cut back roses until after Memorial Day. Because of hard frosts...then I am still covering things after that.

How has your garage handled these unseasonably warm days? Windows and door open a lot currently in my cold greenhouse.

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in SW Oregon our weather went from cool to warm, no snow in december,
warm and sunny most of the last two weeks was making buds swell and pop.
Now, snow and cold 24 tonight with many, frigid
cold nites showing thru the first week in march
My trees and I are confused. lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I should open the window tomorrow. THANK YOU. I am not sure I would have thought of it. I work from home but still can’t just leave the door open unattended.

Today was the first day I noticed the temps rise. It’s been remarkably constant until now. Its a running joke that the thermometer is just stuck.

I have my newly built bench near a north facing window. This is my first time bringing anything in thanks to the new home. Bonsai two step time soon.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Spring is early here too, I just got done repotting some Seiju unexpectantly. I wasn’t prepared this early and didn’t even have any soil on hand so I had to improvise! I got some BonsaiJack on the way though..,

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m hoping it stays winter cold for at least until the end of March. More snow than rain....if rain, March usually brings those awful ice storms. Not a fan of those. To early for Spring around me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in repotting mode here, hope everyone gets thru this spring unscathed. Do you have some lights Darlene? Cause I know winter is not done with us yet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in repotting mode here, hope everyone gets thru this spring unscathed. Do you have some lights Darlene? Cause I know winter is not done with us yet.
Well I ordered lights...bulb included. But when my husband went to install them over the weekend...the bulb was missing. Dealing with that. Should have installed them sooner. But with my husbands work...he was so busy. It was not a difficult install. I told him it could wait. Now...we wait. Amazon had us contact the maker...which states they don't deal with public on the link they had me contact them with. Giving them two days to reply...and then, I am calling Amazon back. Should resolve it quickly.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...I decided I was not going to play the waiting game...for hydrofarm to get back with me since their link states they don't deal with public. I called Amazon back...stating that in reviews they clearly state that they sent a replacement which ALSO came without a bulb. I wish for ones to check to make sure the bulb is clearly in the box before it is sent...because I have THOUSANDS of dollars spent on bonsai that need this light that are waking up. That...got them really friendly. So friendly that...they are not asking me to even send back the other light. So now...I have a second light...minus bulb. For my hassle... I get one day shipping...and they will ship it out and send me email information on this. I don't want to delay my light...So yes...I will have a light for my trees real soon.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just read the email from Amazon...the reason I can keep it. Because I was polite in my concern. Friendly with their customer service department. That is rare...and appreciated.
?
Point on...one can be direct on concern...and polite. Without screaming at the person on the other end of the line trying to just do their job.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Same here...

Grimmy

Top Bottom