This weekend

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_1739.JPG so, the metro Atlanta area, as well as a chunk of the south east, are expecting a bit of snow and ice over the next day or so. I got home early today and prepared for the inevitable 'ice in', stuck at the top of my driveway, by bringing my big rmj into the garage to thaw before working on it...the ice should be melted shortly and I'll be good to go. Have a great weekend...:D.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
ditto, 8-12 inches here, might have a fire going, glass of wine and dinner and a bonsai :)

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No snowmageddon in St. Louis, but cold as Klondike, so I decided to do a little defoliation and wire up one my ficus..

Before
20170106_232731978_iOS.jpg

After:
IMG_7347.JPG

From the Top
IMG_7349.JPG

I still need a lot of work on my wiring, feedback very much welcome...man, wiring is tough. But I think I'm getting better.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, @Dav4 , can't wait to see the work done on your rmj.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still need a lot of work on my wiring, feedback very much welcome...man, wiring is tough. But I think I'm getting better.
I think your wiring is pretty good. But I see several small branches without wire that are pretty straight.... I always have to go back after I take my photos and catch the ones that I didn't do first time.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think your wiring is pretty good. But I see several small branches without wire that are pretty straight.... I always have to go back after I take my photos and catch the ones that I didn't do first time.

Thanks Judy, I appreciate that. I just spent the last half hour wiring up those small branches. If I'm being honest, it wasn't an oversight, but just laziness on my part. I suppose I thought the small ones could go w/o wire, but you are right, they needed to be done. That's a learning for me, for sure. The good ones don't stop short, not even one step...gotta finish it off!

Thanks again!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No snowmageddon in St. Louis, but cold as Klondike, so I decided to do a little defoliation and wire up one my ficus..

Before
View attachment 128263

After:
View attachment 128266

From the Top
View attachment 128267

Sorry for highjacking your thread, @Dav4 , can't wait to see the work done on your rmj.
Actually, your wiring is pretty good for a first timer.

Rather than re-post them here, I'm going to direct you to some diagrams I posted on Vance's "About wiring" thread.

General comments: 1) no need to wire the lower trunk. You're not bending that. You can anchor that wire around the upper portion of the trunk, and wire another branch, too. 2) several branches are wired in their entirety, but the wiring is not connected, not anchored. Jonas addressed this issue in one of his blog posts I put a link to on the About Wiring thread. 3). Check the angle that your sub-branches come off the main branch. Often, they appear to be perpendicular, 90 degrees. They should come off at 45 to 30 degrees. More in the direction the main branch is going. On one of the diagrams I posted in the About Wiring thead, it shows a branch from above, and you can see the angles. It also shows how to connect all the wires. It's "Fig 15".

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually, your wiring is pretty good for a first timer.

Rather than re-post them here, I'm going to direct you to some diagrams I posted on Vance's "About wiring" thread.

General comments: 1) no need to wire the lower trunk. You're not bending that. You can anchor that wire around the upper portion of the trunk, and wire another branch, too. 2) several branches are wired in their entirety, but the wiring is not connected, not anchored. Jonas addressed this issue in one of his blog posts I put a link to on the About Wiring thread. 3). Check the angle that your sub-branches come off the main branch. Often, they appear to be perpendicular, 90 degrees. They should come off at 45 to 30 degrees. More in the direction the main branch is going. On one of the diagrams I posted in the About Wiring thead, it shows a branch from above, and you can see the angles. It also shows how to connect all the wires. It's "Fig 15".

I went back and read that info, thanks again for the feedback and for posting. I'm trying to understand point #3, RE sub-branches. In the other post you mention rounded vs triangle and using the palm of your hand. Check out these diagrams. Is this what you mean?

Current:

IMG_7354.JPG

Proposed:

IMG_7355.JPG

Am I understanding you correctly?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went back and read that info, thanks again for the feedback and for posting. I'm trying to understand point #3, RE sub-branches. In the other post you mention rounded vs triangle and using the palm of your hand. Check out these diagrams. Is this what you mean?

Current:

View attachment 128292

Proposed:

View attachment 128293

Am I understanding you correctly?
Yes. Instead of splaying the subbranches out wide, bring them in closer to the main branch.

You want a clear leader main branch. And secondary branches. And then tertiary branches...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. Instead of splaying the subbranches out wide, bring them in closer to the main branch.

You want a clear leader main branch. And secondary branches. And then tertiary branches...
This diagram might help you visualize the concept:

IMG_0673.JPG

Fig 8 shows a branch before wiring. Fig 9 is after. (Japanese read from right to left.)

In Fig 8, you see the small branches come off the main at about a 90 degree angle. The tips point all over the place.

In Fig 9, the branches have been wired, and the secondary branches come off the main at a much sharper angle: 45 to 30 degrees. Note that the movement of the main line has not changed. Now, all the tips point out, towards the light. The branch has more of a triangular shape. The feeling is the branch is growing in one direction.

In Fig 8, the branch tips point every which way, some even backwards towards the trunk. The branch doesn't appear to be growing in any particular direction, just broadening in an ever widening semicircle.

When developing a tree, strive for Fig 9.

When I'm wiring not for Development, but for a show, I might tighten the angles even more. Making the pads look denser. But for now, tighten up the angles. Find the central leader branch, and wire the secondary branches so that they appear to follow its lead, and not appear to be trying to go off on their own.

Top Bottom