This weeks task

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the pot, and see a ton of potential here. Great birthday present! Looking forward to more photos. Is the tree rooted into the rock below the soil?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that's what we're all hoping! :p
I must say, the pot looks kinda shallow and the moss is reaching up that trunk!
Take a toothbrush to that moss!
I see a bit of rock or dead wood at the base

To properly clean moss...quoted from a post Adair shared.
Dab white wine vinegar onto the moss on the trunks using Qtips or small cotton balls. Cover the soil surface as you don't want to drip vinegar on the soil.

In a couple weeks, the moss will die, and you will be able to very carefully pick it off with tweezers. Wait until it has completely turned brown and has dried up. Otherwise, you'll pull off some bark. And you don't want to do that.

Adair M, Aug 18, 2016Report
#2LikeReply

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi all
It’s a Root over Rock
I must admit it’s a bit of a strange one tho as the exposed roots are mainly around what I consider the back of the tree.
The moss will be cleaned off
Once the moss is cleaned off...you may have a different advantage point. On a positive note...round pot will allow you to find your favorite front. I like it! I think the moss is most likely covering the rock as well. Just do what Adair suggests...and you will not regret it. Doing it wrong...can mess up ones bark. Rock looks top heavy...until exposed from hidden in the moss. Which will surely widen its look at the base giving an entirely different look. I think you will love it even more!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats a great pressent!
Nice twisty trunk and healthy looking foliage!
Looking forward to the progression !

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I think a tree with a trunk like this needs a little more character. I think you’ve left too many branches and a far too regular profile, although I don’t want to be responsible for killing your tree if you cut off too many! Still, the first on the left blocking the stone seems like it should go at least. The thick branch near the top is a problem too. It’s hard to tell from the pic but it appears to be maybe thicker than the trunk, so something will need to be done.

Can’t tell more! It’s going to be a nice tree someday!

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I think a tree with a trunk like this needs a little more character. I think you’ve left too many branches and a far too regular profile, although I don’t want to be responsible for killing your tree if you cut off too many! Still, the first on the left blocking the stone seems like it should go at least. The thick branch near the top is a problem too. It’s hard to tell from the pic but it appears to be maybe thicker than the trunk, so something will need to be done.

Can’t tell more! It’s going to be a nice tree someday!

It almost had a twin apex so for now it was pruned back but not off, It was its first initial styling so im sure as time progresses so will the tree.
Branches can be pruned there is no rush, health is more important

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A little bit rough around the edges as I didn't apply any 1mm or smaller wires, Had a days tuition yesterday and it was far to cold and wet for small wire.......
Yes I know lol

Better! I agree with @Velodog2 comment about too many branches, and the need to open up the profile a bit so you can see layers of foliage, but just don't move in that direction too quickly.

A problem with these twisty junipers is that they can often have reverse taper because the initial twisting of the trunk (when they are young) causes a lot of swelling of the trunk at the location of the twists. It is something to watch as you move forward. I think you want your lowest branch to get longer and bulk up, regardless, but it is really important to let it strengthen because it will help minimize the tapering issue.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would also get that moss off the trunk! Cool twisty trunk, a nice rock but I am personally not a big fan of it with this tree... IMO might look better if planted at an angle without the rock...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see a bit of rock or dead wood at the base

To properly clean moss...quoted from a post Adair shared.
On a juniper like this, the flaky bark is often removed, so the vinegar method is probably not necessary. Vinegar works well on bark, like a pine, where you want to keep the bark intact.

I know, some don’t like peeled junipers. But, believe it or not, in the wild, the junipers appear to be peeled from the harsh winds and snow. Juniper bark is also a home for spider mites. By removing it, they have no place to hide and your spray is more effective.

If you have algae or mold growing on the trunk and/or deadwood, vinegar can help kill it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You have a nice composition in that group of elements, but they seem to be fighting to get away from each other.
5538A948-CDB4-4A30-9ED3-337FB7239E25.jpeg
It starts to create reverse taper very fast when the two elements start out together at the base and get visually heavier and widen apart as the composition elevates.
DAB18531-0159-4B9C-820A-FAC052520D48.jpeg
What if (assuming it’s possible to separate the two) you rotated the stone 180 degrees away from you, like you were holding a Rubik’s cube in your right hand and twisted the left row 180 degrees away. It seems to have a natural fit, if you can put the purple X from the stone under the purple X on the tree.
31492218-C385-453C-9021-DD1C3F47B53B.jpeg
Like this...
59E2AD92-3D08-4E60-8D1D-71ECE8B52FAA.jpeg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I had the same thought as Brian. However after seeing his virt I realize the negative space under the right branch is the most attractive part of the tree for me, so filling it with the stone as well as losing that right branch no longer seems like a win. Perhaps the stone could stay in the same spot but the top be tilted to the right such that the tree was escaping from under its shadow. The tree may need to be tilted slightly as well to create the image, but less than the stone so that they are brought closer at the top. That would make sense if it was possible. Or lose the stone.

Either way as others said go slow with branch removal. The double apex will need to be dealt with but I suspect there is a good solution in there. This is a fun tree.

Top Bottom