This year's spruce collection

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year I wanted to restrict myself to only collecting spruce that are different from anything I have in my collection.
I don't have any trees where the deadwood is the main focus, or that are particularly short and powerful for their trunk calliper. I also wanted something that told an obvious story to anyone familiar with the species and it's habitat in the Canadian Rockies. I think I have found almost exactly what I was looking for:
A2DEDB69-8D22-4FA4-835C-BC2107611B3D.jpeg
Here is my new tree from the side. It is about 22" tall and just over 3" trunk diameter. It's hard to make out the details because of the low growth, dead twigs and because it is a poor photo. It was collected on June 1, and appears to have made it through bud burst and the Western Canadian heat wave, so I think it is through the most critical period for survival (although I know it's not yet a sure thing).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent. I look forward to seeing more of this tree….and what you’ll do with it.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What most excited me about it is that it has a large dead ten Jin and an elbow of a branch that has a second crown and a dead end. It looks like a tree whose main crown was killed by lightning or avalanche and a new crown took over. Here are some pictures:47D63228-1EF6-45D2-AF9A-5601AC7C5759.jpegF2D421AB-6828-4326-8EA3-90659C187BD6.jpeg092E2C34-8DE6-4DB4-B216-CD8C912B6056.jpeg
And a closeup of the "elbow":DE35AF4C-80B1-4B7A-BC32-87FE7F8275BA.jpeg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent. I look forward to seeing more of this tree….and what you’ll do with it.
Thanks. Apart from preserving the deadwood and cleaning up the dead twigs, it will probably be at least a couple of years before I do much work on it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! Now that I see more photos it even looks better. Lots of excellent possibilities. Looks like a great tree struggling along and making it. Mighty fine!

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! Now that I see more photos it even looks better. Lots of excellent possibilities. Looks like a great tree struggling along and making it. Mighty fine!
One thing I liked about it too is the size. It's big enough to be impressive, but not too big to be hard to pot/move/find room for.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crown deadwood excellent and aged. Should be focal point without interference from competing trunk/leader as seems to appear in photos presently. Consider from start of dead trunk all foliage might be made to grow away from it if this appeals to you☺️.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crown deadwood excellent and aged. Should be focal point without interference from competing trunk/leader as seems to appear in photos presently. Consider from start of dead trunk all foliage might be made to grow away from it if this appeals to you☺️.
That was my first thought as well, but the "elbow" that produced the competing leader actually has a lot of character. I think I'll actually shorten the living leader to about the spot marked with the red, so as not to compete with the crown. I'll likely change my mind in the year or two before I begin work on the tree though.06BEE423-1008-4034-883C-48ECF10D07C6.jpeg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing material Tycoss, this is real inspiration for what we’re trying to find here in northern Québec. Beauty of a tree with tons of options and character.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing material Tycoss, this is real inspiration for what we’re trying to find here in northern Québec. Beauty of a tree with tons of options and character.
Thanks, I expect there are some amazing specimens in northern Quebec as well. You guys have some species with some great qualities. Good luck

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mistaken misapprehention of suggestion. Idea was not to remove elbow section. Heaven forbid😬! Idea was to keep up to longer branches reaching away from from deadwood. Perhaps train these downward as if weighted by many snows?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mistaken misapprehention of suggestion. Idea was not to remove elbow section. Heaven forbid😬! Idea was to keep up to longer branches reaching away from from deadwood. Perhaps train these downward as if weighted by many snows?
Thanks for clarifying. I love the idea of the lower branches bending down from snow weight. Very true to the natural growth habit of these trees.

Top Bottom