This year's yamadori lineup - hornbeams and larch + 2 garden pines

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Here are pictures of 3 European Hornbeams and 1 European Larch I collected at my favorite spot this year. Thick trunks with great taper. All of them are 30-40cm in height approximately.
DSC_0398.JPGDSC_0399.JPGDSC_0402.JPGDSC_0401.JPG

I am adding 2 pictures of pines from garden material I am starting - both seem to be grafted (albeit pretty well) on Pinus Silvestris rootstock. One is Pinus Silvestris "Hillside Creeper" and the other is some kind of Mugo (don't remember the name). I took them because of their massive bases - they are like 20-25cm across. Might need to airlayer one or both later but I guess they are both great starter material.
DSC_0403.JPGDSC_0404.JPG

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Those hornbeams look quite interesting. Nice finds

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Those hornbeams look awesome, looking forward to seeing them progress

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Stunning!
Thanx. I am proud of these. Did some substantial shortening and removal of thick branches on both. It's the highest time to wire the young shoots as the buds are swelling - will do on the weekend and post some photos.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
You've encouraged me to go out looking for trees again!

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Unfortunately the first 2 hornbeams and larch died. I guess the problem with hornbeams was I collected them too early. The ground was still a bit frozen and they did not recover from this. Don't know about larch. Attaching photos of the rest.
DSC_0018.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I just died a little inside :( Those hornbeams were amazing.
They were indeed. But that's life - you learn by your mistakes. Where I collected them I believe I can find more like these - seems to be a place where deers or does go to graze. I see you had a look at those from year before - they are going strong.

Top Bottom