Those mini christmas trees from Trader's Joe's?

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Someone gave me one of these glitter covered mini trees as part of a gift bag around the holidays. Anyone seen these and know what kind of tree they are? Looks like cypress maybe? I know they're not going to be great bonsai stock or anything; I'm just curious.

Here are a couple photos from Google search...

-9466.jpg

photo12.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks to be a Juniper - not familiar with all the varieties but they can be a nice plant.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of those things are Alberta spruce and DO NOT make good bonsai, as they tend to be a tangle of upward shooting branches that can't be convincingly trained. The one in this pic, however, looks like some kind of juniper...

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I suppose somebody somewhere beat, bent, wired, flogged, an Alberta spruce to lower its branches for at least fifteen minutes.

I never had much luck with them.

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks to be a Juniper - not familiar with all the varieties but they can be a nice plant.

Hmm... really? Maybe I'll try to take some macro shots of mine to get the needles close up. I wish they'd label it. It just gives care directions, bright, but avoid direct sun, keep moist... And don't you dare propagate warning.

Most of those things are Alberta spruce and DO NOT make good bonsai, as they tend to be a tangle of upward shooting branches that can't be convincingly trained. The one in this pic, however, looks like some kind of juniper...

No plans for bonsai. Just that I have it so I figured I'll keep it alive and it can be a mini coffee table xmas tree again next year. *shrug*

Here's a larger image from the web

ChristmasDeets3.jpg

Last edited:

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
if its an Alberta, an' you let it sleep through the winter on alternate years, you could keep it a smallish christmas tree.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My bad - Spruce it is, and we killed 4-5 in a row thinking we could have a 3 foot tree inside for 2 weeks and then dropping it outside - Those things really need to winter in these parts :eek: You might be able to make that a cool little accent though...

Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not spruce or juniper, looks like dwarf cypress to me.
Mike

I agree with Mike. It's not a Spruce or a Juniper. They often sell Italian Stone Pines as living Xmas trees, too, but it's not one of those either. Mike might be right about Cypress sp.

Throw it in the ground to thicken up and maybe one day it will be worthy of digging up and putting the "bonsai hurt" on it. If nothing else it could be a nice landscape shrub. :)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's definetly a cypress of some type. If you get a chance bring a small cutting by and i'll id for sure.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They aren't alberta spruce. I saw those (forget what they were now) and Italian stone pines in stores around here.
The consensus on the research I did is that they dont make good bonsai.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
this tag is from one of those trees. It doesn't say what it is but you get a good close-up of the foliage

funny.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana aka "Port Orford cedar," Port Orford cypress" or "Lawson Cypress." Here in the SoCal area, I usually see the ''Ellwoodii' cultivar which is more "ferny-looking" than the regular Lawson cypress foliage.

I was given some of these trees a couple of years ago, and the plant tags ID'd the tree down to the cultivar. Cute as heck, but very prone to sudden drying out. :(

The poor hapless things are *everywhere* during the holiday season. (I still have one or two in reasonable condition and I baby them like ferns ... coolest, shadiest part of the yard with frequent watering during the worst of our summer heat).

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where does one acquire a license to propagate? Moreso, where does one get the job of policing people propagating in their back yard?

What a crock! :rolleyes:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where does one acquire a license to propagate? Moreso, where does one get the job of policing people propagating in their back yard?

What a crock! :rolleyes:

LMAO - and Thank you for that! :)

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Be careful for the undercover propagation police UPP. They are the ones come dress as a family member or friend. They will lock you up so fast your head will spin.

Has anyone see these yet this year? I've seen them use rosemary as trees at Walmart this year. Maybe get one of those for my herb garden after the holidays.

Dave.

Top Bottom