Those with bougainvillea bonsai...do you use the BGI bougainvillea soil

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
http://www.bgi-usa.com/quick-draining-soil/

I am going to need soil when my pot arrives...trying to locate the proper mix...stumbled upon this...but not sure if it is bonsai soil...or for regular potting of these. But it states quick draining.

Any advice at what you use and are successful with is appreciated...

Also read to use bougain. Trying to decide how long 2-2lb jars will last...it is almost as much as a 10 bag. But the jars seem...easier to contain and access.

Found their bougain cheaper from another site...yay!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Never heard of it. Remember the marketing skills of the horticultural industry are something to behold. They market the same pesticide under different names in the hopes that you'll buy two bottles of their poisons.

Your bougy will do fine in a soil mixture made for cactus.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Never heard of it. Remember the marketing skills of the horticultural industry are something to behold. They market the same pesticide under different names in the hopes that you'll buy two bottles of their poisons.

Your bougy will do fine in a soil mixture made for cactus.

Thanks! Much appreciated...can most bonsai use that same soil mixture then?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
No. Bougies like dry soil. So do cactus. Most other trees like more moisture and more organic ,material in the soil. Do a search here for "soil" and you will quickly see how complex the subject can be.

But if you only have a few (under a dozen) trees, you probably can make do with chicken grit and composted pine bark mulch (60-40%) or Oil Dri and the mulch at about the same ratio.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No. Bougies like dry soil. So do cactus. Most other trees like more moisture and more organic ,material in the soil. Do a search here for "soil" and you will quickly see how complex the subject can be.

But if you only have a few (under a dozen) trees, you probably can make do with chicken grit and composted pine bark mulch (60-40%) or Oil Dri and the mulch at about the same ratio.

I seen a newly post on soil...that someone was making. It did seem complex. But...majority of bonsai sellers would sell the norm...for soil though...right?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

I have had terrible experience with oil dry on its own. I lost three trees to fungus/rot this year. They weren't anything to behold so I wasn't too upset. If I use it again I will mix in something larger in size like crushed lava. The oil dry that I used broke down and turned to mush in no time. My 2 cents

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll mostly purchase it from a bonsai dealer...than attempt to go wrong in error. But it is a complex topic...going to see what my Penjing book says on soil for tonight. I seen something on the subject in it.

Forujames

Seedling
Reaction score
The answer to question is yes. Use the BGI soil-why try to out do the experts? I may mix some Turface in but that's not required. Now I'm in bougy-land. I don't know about those plants that come in for the winter. I have several mature bougy bonsai plants. I'll try to get a pic up. james

Forujames

Seedling
Reaction score
OK here is a healthy BGI soiled bougy. Just took the pic (in the light rain) Obviously, cascade style.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 25

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The more I read soil posts...the more confused I got...to the point my husband said to just order the BGI brand soil meant for the bonsai I need to repot. Since it is a reminder of our time in Honduras...and a reminder of our planned trip back in June.

I went ahead and ordered their book on Bougainvillea as well...hoping for insight on how to deal with their roots. Since I keep hearing about they don't like their roots trimmed...

I do appreciate all the advice...but this seems the simpler route.

Top Bottom