Thought I'd try a large pine.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, as a neophyte, it's almost encouraging to see a veteran make errors. Thank you for posting not only your many successes, but also your learning experiences. Hope the pine pulls through.

Ditto that. I know it's hard to believe, but some of us have killed trees that were in our care. Sometimes even when we've done our homework. I've always wondered how many bonsai die without anyone knowing. Maybe we should have a tribute forum (...or maybe that would be uber depressing). I'm sure Smoke's will prevail, but I have a few I would have wrote a eulogy for. Sniff....snifff....

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of the most beautiful Japanese maples dying right now. I will post picks of the branch structure if it does not make it.......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this tree has finally turned the corner as it is really starting to look better. I think a few more days and I can call this one..... "finished"

Attachments

• DSC_0001000111.JPG
    DSC_0001000111.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 187

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess we can throw out the "a bonsai is never finished" statement.

Sad to see Al but you seem to be taking it well. Just a bit of bad luck.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As they say,,, stick a fork in it, it's done!

That's tough, it was a nice looking trunk. Guess it can happen to any of us. Thanks for still having a sense of humor about it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Time to enter the "pot reclamation phase". I may have a V. Pine to add to the pyre...but I'm giving it another week.

Na na na na....hey hey hey...good bye...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an awesome Japanese maple that will be joining your pine in bonsai heaven in a few weeks. :(

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have an awesome Japanese maple that will be joining your pine in bonsai heaven in a few weeks. :(

This is the second mention of this maple, how about a picture? Maybe from before it started croaking? This is the kind of thread that can be hijacked!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Al...

Nah nah nah nah...nah nah nah nah..heh heh heh...PHOENIX GRAFT...lol..

I know, I know,, I'm not that big on them either.. I have one and only one.

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al...

Nah nah nah nah...nah nah nah nah..heh heh heh...PHOENIX GRAFT...lol..

I know, I know,, I'm not that big on them either.. I have one and only one.

Rob

I've already notified my taxidermist...he says he can make it look like new!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i could not find a pic of when it was in its prime. lost a phone they were on. Here it is in hospice. i take very bad pics. maple.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And when I said awesome. It was to me. It was of the first decent material I purchased.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that a pretty current pic?

If it is it is not dying. Looks like some roots have given up and it lost leaves but they should come back based on the look of the trunk. Sometimes they do not bud back untill later in th year when it cools off.
Stay on it, water when necessary but watch it cause it can drown now without leaves.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just took the pic today. Going to wait until the bark turns black before Dipping iit in miwax and putting on my mantle. Just kidding. It's sitting in the shade being babied right now. All the bark is still super green all the way to the tips. We shall see.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the limbs are still green. Hopefully it's gone dormant until the heat wave breaks. Over 105 every day this week.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Top Bottom