Thought loblolly pines were goners.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had some seedlings shipped. They dried out and foliage went brown. Scratched bark with finger nail to my surprise it was very green. So potted them and watered. Texas has been a bit warmer the last couple of weeks. I thought if pines lost their foliage they would die but saw some needles starting to bud in several of them them. This isn't Normal for pines, Right?

Attachments

• PXL_20220417_144644956.jpg
    PXL_20220417_144644956.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220417_144748851.jpg
    PXL_20220417_144748851.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 56

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
"Resilience is the ability to withstand adversity and bounce back from difficult life events"

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Had some seedlings shipped. They dried out and foliage went brown. Scratched bark with finger nail to my surprise it was very green. So potted them and watered. Texas has been a bit warmer the last couple of weeks. I thought if pines lost their foliage they would die but saw some needles starting to bud in several of them them. This isn't Normal for pines, Right?
Loblolly pines are more resilient than most think. Here in the Carolinas it is not uncommon for tree farms to manage their tracks with fire. The loblolly seedlings in the under growth that gets burned comes back pretty quickly after they are burnt. Pretty cool to see these little one recovering.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Most pines only can do that in a juvenile stage, only species like Canary island pine is capable to sprout after a fire or major damage, Ive seen Pinus canariensis with 20 in trunks choped down ground level and sprouting back like they were an Elm or something xD

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

That's awesome. Maybe I should have held on to the dozen or so collected lobs I tossed after browning. Oh well, have plenty now. Very VERY cool to see. Glad there are others working to bring the loblolly into the mainstream.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
have seen this species get blasted back to just the trunk, and then resprout like a deciduous tree. They grow three times as fast in my climate as JBP and probably 4 or 5x further South, but then again maybe JBP speeds up down there too...

Top Bottom