Thoughts for styling

Danny-e-

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi there everyone, last week i was given this pine by a friend DSC00557.JPG DSC00563.JPG so i put it in a reasonable size'd training pot. whilst doing this i noticed that it didnt have very many roots and as u can see from the attached photos theres quite alot of growth on the top. Does anyone have any thoughts on thinning it out. As it is i dont think the roots will be able to cope with all the growth thats there at present, also im due to go on holiday next week and would hate to come back and it be dead due to not removing some of the excess. I've bent a few of the branches down to get some better images DSC00585.JPG DSC00588.JPG DSC00593.JPG I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know if that is a pine.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Whatever it is, Danny, it's much too small for styling yet. I'd put it in the ground -- all those species you list will be perfectly cold-hardy in Merrie England. Give it 3-5 years of growth, at least. Then re-evaluate.

Meanwhile, buy yourself something larger, but not too expensive, to work on now.

And welcome to BonsaiChat!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's picea abies...

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And welcome to BonsaiChat!

:eek:

I'd be careful about removing any foliage or branching on your spruce, guessing how much foliage can be supported by your root system is pretty tough work and maybe better left to the tree, though there's some debate on that. It needs to grow some more imo, and you may want to look at some pictures of clump or multi-trunked trees since that's what you have to work with at the moment.

If you're fresh into bonsai see if you can find yourself an elm (not an S-shaped mallsai), they'll be much more forgiving of pruning/watering/fertilizing/whatever mistakes. Better yet, see if you can find someone nearby to give you a little coaching, hands on help is tough to beat.

Jake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
good to see another english lad on here danny mate. even a geordie ;)

i agree with the post that starting with a forgiving elm could be a good way to go. you could always plant this tree in the ground and let strengthen and develop before working on it. the following link shows the benefits of this- http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATfieldgrowing.htm

also I have to say your plant looks a lot like a good old english yew tree; although you could probably have to compare the foliage to some sort of online key to be sure. If it is they are rather slow-growing and would benefit even more from a bit of unrestricted growth

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Its a Spruce

I'd go with Rockm its gotta be a spruce. Stick it in the ground fertilize it like mad and wait a couple of years. Take off the tap root - plant it on top of a tile to get the roots forming a nice spread; that way those couple of years get to be very worthwhile and you learn a something new.

Danny-e-

Seedling
Reaction score
Cheers for all the quick replys guys, ill see if i can find some space to get it in the ground then for the time being. I was being a little impatient again :) (probably with being due to go away) and the fact that i was a bit dubious about the amount of roots (or lack of them).

Also nice to see another fellow english man jake even if u r southern ;) just kiding m8 im not a full geordie either been here 15 yrs. Anyway must dash, suitcase to pack have fun all an many thanks for the advice again.

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, just drive through the Appalachians on any given day and strike up a conversation with the first person you meet in every town. the accent difference can amaze you even though some towns are only about 5-6 miles from each other. of course, there are always the hillbillies who have never heard of a toothbrush (or a spitoon) and you need to take a language course to understand them :D

I would probably say fir, if I had to hazard a guess, but it is way too small to train. the good news is, most conifers grow rather quickly when compared to deciduous trees. so in a few years, it may be worth something. whatever you do, though, good luck!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote Douglas fir. Are the needles flat and somewhat blunted? Are there little white stripes on the bottom of them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom