Thoughts on a pot for this large juniper

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. There is a thread for this tree Right here. If you want to give suggestions on the tree, do so in that thread please. All the faults and successes of the tree can be found there.

I was asking on that thread but didn’t get a lot of response on is a pot choice. I’m going to order a Yixing pot from Amazon, Because I need a large pot and they are inexpensive. I want something this tree can live in for many years until I can afford something really nice and until the tree is worthy.

Here is the tree after first styling, And after I had some dieback in the crown and a few primary branches over winter. It’s unruly and I styled at the moment, but will be re potted in early summer.

Here are the pots available and that I like for this tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like #2, although it may be too deep.
I’m so awful at the pot tree combo. I’ve got such poor choices here locally and hate to order anything unless I’m completely sure.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see a somewhat feminine tree; soft lines, no chunky in your face-ness.. A complementary pot - in my eyes - would be the last.
I'd go with the last pot. It's round which would help the second and third trunk to fall into perspective. I don't know for sure either!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m so awful at the pot tree combo. I’ve got such poor choices here locally and hate to order anything unless I’m completely sure.

I’m in the same boat here. There was one nursery that had low end but quite decent pots here. I bet they stocked them 20 years ago and never sold any till I started buying them one at a time. I bought them all over 5 years and I don’t expect to see any again locally.

Anyways you have enough trees and will collect more, any of those will get used at some point even if not perfect enough for that tree. Appropriate size is the most important thing once the roots are ready, even if it’s a wooden box. Then you know the swap will be easy and risk free. I like #2 as well, nice tree too,very, very nice. I’m sure you’ll get that looking great in time.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey everyone. There is a thread for this tree Right here. If you want to give suggestions on the tree, do so in that thread please. All the faults and successes of the tree can be found there.

I was asking on that thread but didn’t get a lot of response on is a pot choice. I’m going to order a Yixing pot from Amazon, Because I need a large pot and they are inexpensive. I want something this tree can live in for many years until I can afford something really nice and until the tree is worthy.

Here is the tree after first styling, And after I had some dieback in the crown and a few primary branches over winter. It’s unruly and I styled at the moment, but will be re potted in early summer.
View attachment 266921View attachment 266922
View attachment 266923

Here are the pots available and that I like for this tree.
View attachment 266924
View attachment 266925
View attachment 266926View attachment 266927
The lines of this tree are fairly feminine, so you won’t go wrong with an oval pot. I’ve been taught not to use a round pot unless the apex of the tree is going to break the vertical plane of the pot wall. How big is that oval? Don’t make the mistake of oversizing it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the color in the first pot, but do not find any of the style choices suitable! Would suggest an oval with darkish red tone and or rectangle with softer lines!
Perfectly fine to remain in current container while advancing the tree! If you wish to reduce the root ball size just reduce the interior size of the container.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry if I had the software to resize and overlay/combine into one,,, each pairing I would.
This removes a bit of scrolling back and forth for helping make a choice with less static I hope.

I took the liberty to bring your better photo from the other thread over to these pots as well.
Your set up and lighting is much better on that picture.

@Hartinez when we scroll up to see the pic in your post, the last pic you posted of the tree, or the 1st one we see,
is without wire and displaying active lush growth you will typically be seeing at height between styles.
That lush foliage is indeed more feminine like @Wires_Guy_wires said, but when this tree is in styling
as with the current (I think) photo, it is more masculine than it was. More dramatic a difference.
That may be key in selecting a pot that meshes with both categories.
That said, the current home is round, your other thread you are leaning towards drum,
the depth of the round with a lip is worth printing off of one and holding up to a pic
of the tree (in scale at ? distance) just for kicks and giggles.

I like a lip edged pot for my heavier pot for carrying, and I've been on a bit more of an
unglazed "lotus?" type pot for my conifers, kick, with a particular style in mind.
I've always appreciated a lip when moving heavy pots/projects back and forth.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see a somewhat feminine tree; soft lines, no chunky in your face-ness.. A complementary pot - in my eyes - would be the last.
I'd go with the last pot. It's round which would help the second and third trunk to fall into perspective. I don't know for sure either!
I see round for this tree also, at least until I can figure out more what the tree wants to be. Its got so many interesting angles that Id hate to lock the tree in to one front or back. Im thinking more pot 3 for a while. But I've got some time to think until spring. Thanks for the input regardless @Wires_Guy_wires

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m in the same boat here. There was one nursery that had low end but quite decent pots here. I bet they stocked them 20 years ago and never sold any till I started buying them one at a time. I bought them all over 5 years and I don’t expect to see any again locally.

Anyways you have enough trees and will collect more, any of those will get used at some point even if not perfect enough for that tree. Appropriate size is the most important thing once the roots are ready, even if it’s a wooden box. Then you know the swap will be easy and risk free. I like #2 as well, nice tree too,very, very nice. I’m sure you’ll get that looking great in time.
Its hard feeling like I'm on a Bonsai Island here in the desert SW. I think this tree is ready for a pot as next year will be year 3 in the nursery container. Even if that pot is just a basic shape. Im leaning more towards 3 at the moment. But I'm sure that'll change. 😂 Either way, thanks for the input @wireme

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#4 is my choice.
Thanks Paul. I think something more decorative along those lines will be a great long term choice. I appreciate your input.

ps. Thanks for turning me on the great variety of Thuja, Degroots Spire. A local nursery that I get a 20% discount at has an incredible selection of 5 gallon with 3" plus trunks on each for 30 bucks.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lines of this tree are fairly feminine, so you won’t go wrong with an oval pot. I’ve been taught not to use a round pot unless the apex of the tree is going to break the vertical plane of the pot wall. How big is that oval? Don’t make the mistake of oversizing it.
Im just not as schooled in the general guidlines for pot choice. So only use a circle if it leaning outside of the pots walls? interesting thought! Thanks for the input Renny.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the color in the first pot, but do not find any of the style choices suitable! Would suggest an oval with darkish red tone and or rectangle with softer lines!
Perfectly fine to remain in current container while advancing the tree! If you wish to reduce the root ball size just reduce the interior size of the container.
Thanks Frank. I think this tree is ready for a better looking pot, but you of all people are probably right about leaving be. Your collected trees are the healthiest of any I've seen on this site! The tree showed incredible growth after a dismal winter and would probably continue to grow in its current pot. Our very clay heavy soil, we call Caliche, here in NM is my only concern. Im anxious to begin removing that stuff as soon as possible, at least removing a little by next spring/summer. Regardless, I appreciate your input about the pot and the health of the tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry if I had the software to resize and overlay/combine into one,,, each pairing I would.
This removes a bit of scrolling back and forth for helping make a choice with less static I hope.

I took the liberty to bring your better photo from the other thread over to these pots as well.
Your set up and lighting is much better on that picture.

@Hartinez when we scroll up to see the pic in your post, the last pic you posted of the tree, or the 1st one we see,
is without wire and displaying active lush growth you will typically be seeing at height between styles.
That lush foliage is indeed more feminine like @Wires_Guy_wires said, but when this tree is in styling
as with the current (I think) photo, it is more masculine than it was. More dramatic a difference.
That may be key in selecting a pot that meshes with both categories.
That said, the current home is round, your other thread you are leaning towards drum,
the depth of the round with a lip is worth printing off of one and holding up to a pic
of the tree (in scale at ? distance) just for kicks and giggles.

View attachment 266946
View attachment 266947

View attachment 266948
View attachment 266949

View attachment 266950
View attachment 266953

I like a lip edged pot for my heavier pot for carrying, and I've been on a bit more of an
unglazed "lotus?" type pot for my conifers, kick, with a particular style in mind.
I've always appreciated a lip when moving heavy pots/projects back and forth.
What a great reply!! Thank you @Japonicus !! I'll probably do a few photoshop virtual before pulling the trigger on any choices. I too am leaning towards the deep round pot, versatility until I can find the right pot long term.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could not have asked for a group on this site that I respect more to reply to this thread! Thank you guys for your input! I can only hope I will do this tree justice!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something I forgot put in my post...
(and by the way I suck at pots I was just trying to declutter the visual back n forth)
but don't we bury the root mass a little more initially when we're changing the planting angle?
I've only had to do angle changes of quite a bit less an angle
and always trim roots accordingly, and wedge the soil higher where needed. Nothing this drastic.
I'm going to experiment securing the root ball to wedges in the pot next time.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You already have.
Reworded. A group of members on this site who’s work and input I always value, wether on my threads or others, commented here. This doesn’t always happen, and I greatly appreciate it!!

Top Bottom