Thoughts on a pot for this large juniper

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something I forgot put in my post...
(and by the way I suck at pots I was just trying to declutter the visual back n forth)
but don't we bury the root mass a little more initially when we're changing the planting angle?
I've only had to do angle changes of quite a bit less an angle
and always trim roots accordingly, and wedge the soil higher where needed. Nothing this drastic.
I'm going to experiment securing the root ball to wedges in the pot next time.
I also need to be better at adding wedges to angle changes. There are a couple I have in particular that could have benefited from this move greatly in the spring.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Frank. I think this tree is ready for a better looking pot, but you of all people are probably right about leaving be. Your collected trees are the healthiest of any I've seen on this site! The tree showed incredible growth after a dismal winter and would probably continue to grow in its current pot. Our very clay heavy soil, we call Caliche, here in NM is my only concern. Im anxious to begin removing that stuff as soon as possible, at least removing a little by next spring/summer. Regardless, I appreciate your input about the pot and the health of the tree.
That seals the deal for me, i never move to a bonsai pot unless the tree has adapted to bonsai mix and the native soil has been removed entirely!
Great plan to begin the transition this spring. You will notice considerable difference in health and foliage development which will only speed up the process. If you wish to be very cautious with this one, do a three step approach. Deal with the bottom of the root ball and the outside edge in the first repot. Than do one side ( the weakest root side) next repot. Leave the strong side for the final repot into the Bonsai pot you choose.
At this point the entire root ball will be in Bonsai mix and the tree will be well on its way to full vigor.
Note: most err on the side of avoiding the central core, be sure to remove the native soil from this area when approaching with the side and underneath. Great time to remove extraneous rocks and dead roots often concealed directly under the trunk. I often do the core area from the bottom when flattening the root ball and doing the edge ( First repot after collection) if the tree seems healthy enough and the rootball is fairly good around the edges.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the round bowl shaped one for this tree.

My main thought is, after looking at the original thread, why such a rush to pot it up....?
It was only in the bucket for less than 2 full years.

I'm speaking from my experience of not being patient and doing too much root work to conifers, too quickly.

I also like your new potential front shown in the other thread.

Cool plant!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey mike! Next spring will be 2 1/2 yrs without addressing the roots condition much. Being that I know there is still Caliche (New Mexico clay soil) present, id like to start removing that sooner than later. And I agree I’m leaning towards the deeper circle pot so I’m not forced to reduce too much too quick. That’s the plan at least! Thanks for the feedback!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom