Thoughts on Acer palmatum styling?

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey all

I’ve got a maple here that I purchased last summer. When I arrived I wasn’t overly thrilled with the triple trunk look that its sporting, but thought it best to allow it to get acclimated to my climate before I started hacking away at it. Here is a picture of it
3855B8CA-54D1-46BB-96DC-C729088BA012.jpeg
Now we’re starting to show signs of coming out of the winter and it’s got a good number of buds showing so I’m fairly sure the winter didn’t kill it. I wanted to get some thoughts from the community. My first thought on which side to go would be the left. Agree?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes if you get rid of one I agree that the left one looks like the best candidate. You could also go in a direction like this. Cutting each leader back to the closest node to the trunk and develop a little broom style tree
11B58112-C431-4E0F-8385-BCB3325E9161.jpeg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm I didn’t think about going for a broom, but that would be an interesting direction! More things for me to think about. The original idea I had was for an informal upright with the right hand side being a sort of smaller branch system, kind of like this. AD5CD9BE-A38C-4709-A4D8-B0E19314769A.jpeg
A smaller broom would be nice however, much less long term work probably. Love the idea.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm I didn’t think about going for a broom, but that would be an interesting direction! More things for me to think about. The original idea I had was for an informal upright with the right hand side being a sort of smaller branch system, kind of like this. View attachment 284056
A smaller broom would be nice however, much less long term work probably. Love the idea.
I think if you want a tree as big as your virt then your trunk needs to be much thicker. If you are fine with the trunk then the height of your canopy should be about two thirds lower.
0C1C0D35-6CE1-486F-A8AB-AF942174DFB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Regardless of what direction I go in that main trunk is getting chopped at least a third of the way down. The illustration I gave was a more “long game” idea.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hard to tell from the crappy photo, but it looks like the surface roots needs attention too.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did a second virt with two trunks and look better to me. This pic has where I would make the cuts. Much more then a third down. Unless you want a thicker trunk then I would put in a flat or the ground for years and build taper in the ground while addressing the roots
76EA9EA3-5CFF-4ACF-BF87-CDEE760F0A56.jpeg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The roots came sort of exposed like that. Advice on what to do? Repot and rearrange? Bury them a bit deeper? I have some plastic training pots that are larger and deeper that I was considering for a repot

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The roots came sort of exposed like that. Advice on what to do? Repot and rearrange? Bury them a bit deeper? I have some plastic training pots that are larger and deeper that I was considering for a repot
yes I would repot into a bigger pot with room to grow lateral roots. Cut the downward growing roots and try to develop roots radiating out from the trunk Mostly on the same plane if possible. Nothing growing down directly under the trunk.
I did this one today and it has a long way to go and possible rootgrafts as well. Not the best example but it’s first time working the roots. By the way I completely buried the nebari in the pic so it will continue grow roots all around the trunk.

59CE7A5B-0C99-4B60-8052-B563BF9AACE6.jpeg

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also I would recommend growing your out to a much bigger trunk. I can’t tell for sure but it looks like a big leaf/ big internode Japanese maple that might be much better as a larger tree.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hmm I didn’t think about going for a broom, but that would be an interesting direction! More things for me to think about. The original idea I had was for an informal upright with the right hand side being a sort of smaller branch system, kind of like this. View attachment 284056
Hi,
So here’s my opinion. Cut 2 of the 3 trunks off, with one being the main trunk. Replant on a slight angle to get a little movement. And bury the roots by 1-2 inches mix. Also then let this grow for a year or 2, and then chop and regrow for a year or two etc, etc. I just don’t think you have a trunk girth yet.
From a arborist/horticulturist perspective if you leave the main trunk and a side branch, the side branch union will always be weak, and is too high up to be second trunk.
Your choice and all,
Charles

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Take the bottom off! New pot!

I wouldn't worry much about cutting it this year. Maybe after it survives the repot.

Soil look eh.

Sorce
The soil is definitely pretty ugly. So if I repot you’d say no big cuts? It definitely needs some maintenance trimming. The internodes are already kinda spaced out

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil is definitely pretty ugly. So if I repot you’d say no big cuts? It definitely needs some maintenance trimming. The internodes are already kinda spaced out

You could get away with cutting that left side. That's a good Idea, to keep that first part from swelling.

IMO, you're eventually going to cut this back and start branches anew, so long nodes at this point are ok.
Seems most of that'll be cut off eventually.

Seems that foot health is most important.

We're not supposed to cut after we Repot, as to not jostle the roots. But perhaps you should begin the repot, assess the health of the roots, then decide to cut the branch or not then. As you may need that health to make new roots.

Sorce

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like a good plan. I’ll take a look at the roots today after work, see what I’m dealing with. Probably wait a bit to repot though? Couple weeks? I’ve never done a repot before so that’ll be a brand new experience....

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So here’s a look at the feet
B5A6D592-6E34-44C2-99F1-3DCCCEB7CF5D.jpeg6FC3397A-0CA6-4CD7-A0D5-505D2F7245ED.jpeg
Could probably use some combing out at least. The roots have begun to envelop the drainage screw on the edges. Not pot bound but maybe getting close.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot you are here!

Last I checked our last freeze night was around April 10th. It'll be a while!

Sorce

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay so repot when we’re safe from overnight freezes. Easy enough. How much root mass should I be prepared to remove? Maples typically have pretty resilient roots, right? Will I have to assess when I actually get in there and make a call then?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First, pop it out of the pot and set it aside. Prepare the pot (i.e., scrub it if really dirty, re-secure drain screens, wires in place for tying the tree into the pot. Set it aside.

Cut off the bottom half to two-thirds of the 'ball'. Then wash out the old soil and and then gently comb the roots out, radially.
Turn your pot upside down, set your tree atop it and use the bottom edge of the pot as a template for cutting back the roots.

Set the tree aside. Turn the pot right side up and put into it substrate to the point appropriate for the bottom of the tree. Scoop this in from the sides, making a bit of a mound where the tree will sit. Sit your tree atop that mound and then gently wiggle it down to the right level (if too high, remove some substrate, then repeat; if too low, add some substrate, then repeat). Loosely wire the tree in place. Adjust to get it planted at the right angle and position in the pot. Tighten the wires to secure it. Add substrate. Insert a stick to the bottom of the pot around the perimeter, wiggling it to coax substrate to fill voids. Add substrate and repeat until it no longer falls in around the stick.

The final level of substrate should be just above the line of unglazed ceramic on the inside of the pot. Water thoroughly. Voila! You're done.

Top Bottom