Thoughts on akadama

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For your consideration: I don't have any really positive or negative opinions about akadama. It's expensive, so I don't use it.

How outlandish is the notion that Japanese black pines and Japanese native junipers evolved in the same environment as akadama soil and therefore may be tied to each other in some way not yet discovered. Maybe one or more micronutrients or the exact combination thereof that those trees need is the "secret" to the success of akadama in Japanese bonsai culture. Does that then necessarily apply to other species of trees in other parts of the world. I certainly don't know, but I'll bet the trees know.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t think your notion is necessarily outlandish. Probably a lot that we still have yet to discover.

However, I would guess a different notion. I think that akadama just so happens - due to random geology - to have very favorable characteristics for bonsai cultivation. So yes it works great for Japanese species of plants, but it also works great for many other non-Japanese species also.

That’s my 2 cents anyway. I love the stuff!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm more inclined to think it's the structural characteristics of akadama that make it special. Here's a link to a journal article that somebody posted on Mirai sometime ago about the characteristics of the minerals that make up akadama.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First, they did not evolve on akadama soil, it is in a different location. The big thing to remember about akadama soils is they are best reserved for trees in refinement. Akadama slows tree growth so you get tighter branching and shorter needles. With trees in development you are trying to get them to fatten up and develop a branch structure not slow them down.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For your consideration: I don't have any really positive or negative opinions about akadama. It's expensive, so I don't use it.

How outlandish is the notion that Japanese black pines and Japanese native junipers evolved in the same environment as akadama soil and therefore may be tied to each other in some way not yet discovered. Maybe one or more micronutrients or the exact combination thereof that those trees need is the "secret" to the success of akadama in Japanese bonsai culture. Does that then necessarily apply to other species of trees in other parts of the world. I certainly don't know, but I'll bet the trees know.
They're not mutually inclusive. Black pine and juniper didn't necessarily evolve because of exposure to akadama (it's mined from certain areas of Japan)

Black pine isn't necessarily in those areas.

However, Japanese plants, by definition, evolved in an environment of volcanic origin--soils on the Japanese archipelago are the results of billions of years of volcanic activity. The plants there have adapted to that environment. Doesn't mean they can't grow elsewhere in different soils and environments however. They can, in fact thrive in utterly alien environments with drastically different soils. There is a recent thread here that talks about a pending state rule in Massachusetts to declare Japanese Black Pine an invasive species there as it has severely crowded out native pitch pines on Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod. The soils there are hardly volcanic.

Top Bottom