Thoughts on angled/bent scissors? Worth the space in your toolkit?

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve tried doing extensive searching and I could find some info but not much.

I’m looking for one more pair of scissors before calling it quits on tool buying for a bit. I’m looking to get something cheaper to beat up when cutting through soil and root pruning. I thinking of getting an angled pair like these.

Angled Shears

I’d love to know what people think about angled shears if they find them useful or if they find them annoying and prefer straight? Do you reach for them all of the time or has it been so long you’ve forgotten where you left them?

thanks for your insights!

(and yes I’ve read the great suggestion of just using an older retired pair of shears for roots but being only a little bit into this, I don’t have an “old” pair yet)

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
The link you posted is a straight pair.
Have you considered a the surgical type angled scissors from like CVS or Walgreens?

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have you considered a the surgical type angled scissors from like CVS or Walgreens?
Thank you for your reply. So are you a fan of having a pair of angled scissors then?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I do like them,,,maybe you get a little more power with the type of work you are talking about….roots.

D

Deleted member 38190

Are you a cactus or a pear?

Welcome to Crazy!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a pair of abs ones with white handles. I like them quite a bit but don’t use them much. I always have some straight scissors with me so normally still use them.

D

Deleted member 38190

Nice

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, they’re angled. Look at the other pictures.

Those look like the ABS ones. They work just fine, but the cutting tangs are rather short.

Kaneshin makes some with longer tangs which makes it easier when cutting the bottoms of larger trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve tried doing extensive searching and I could find some info but not much.

I’m looking for one more pair of scissors before calling it quits on tool buying for a bit. I’m looking to get something cheaper to beat up when cutting through soil and root pruning. I thinking of getting an angled pair like these.

Angled Shears

I’d love to know what people think about angled shears if they find them useful or if they find them annoying and prefer straight? Do you reach for them all of the time or has it been so long you’ve forgotten where you left them?

(and yes I’ve read the great suggestion of just using an older retired pair of shears for roots but being only a little bit into this, I don’t have an “old” pair yet)
I was skeptical of these until I tried some at a class, bought some next day.

https://store.bonsaitonight.com/products/ars-scissors?variant=9004589973565

They work great for trimming fine roots up against a root ball after raking/combing out.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally have straight pair smaller size but otherwise exactly same. These used for fine pruning, leaf trimming, shortening dead pine needles, etc. Have other larger pair of cheap scissors used for roots. Have never seen need for bent ones. If you must have go ahead but would suggest broader blades than these.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may be thinking of the same -- if memory serves, there's a cheap, tough version called "crash scissors" that EMTs always carry. The angle makes it easier to slip them under bandages, clothing, seatbelts -- anything they need out of the way fast.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon these are pretty useless.

The "vision" is pulling a perfectly square root mass out of a pot and gently hedge trimming the bottom clean?

I think this idea is forcing a lack of attention to detail.

The "vision" isn't a common occurance, it's just an idea.

You'd be better off getting an oversized pair of knob cutters for the rootwork you'll more likely encounter, and use regular scissors for detailed trimming.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Angled Shears

I am on my second or third pair of ABS bent scissors. Love them for working on Bonsai, particularly the flat bottom portion of fine rooted species and the top area of rootball for those species that produce a lot of fine surface roots. They are easy to sharpen and last me for a few years. I do bonsai full time so that is a fair amount of use for inexpensive scissors. I use the straight blade ABS for light pruning on smaller trees and can also recommend the ABS wire cutter, lightweight, works very well on aluminum and light copper. Easy to keep in your hand while wiring small branches instead of always setting down and picking up a larger heavier tool. The small wire cutter has been in use since 2009 and works as well as when I purchased it. I believe these tools were designed and sold primarily for vineyard use. Often labeled or described as grape scissors!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
No, they’re angled. Look at the other pictures.

Those look like the ABS ones. They work just fine, but the cutting tangs are rather short.

Kaneshin makes some with longer tangs which makes it easier when cutting the bottoms of larger trees.
Ok, I see says the blind man. I was thinking the EMT style elbow scissors as mentioned above.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I've got the ones the OP posted (straight and angled), but prefer the ones in the link above.

Top Bottom