Thoughts on my first Ponderosa

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I received this ponderosa from Andy Smith yesterday. I have it in slight morning sun for the next week or two, after that it will get 6-8 hours of mostly full sun. My main question is, when can I start fertilizing the crap out of it? I have both Bio gold and Green Dream on hand. It was collected in October of 2016 and has a few candles but, looks like mostly just needles opened this year. With the needles as short as they are, I'm fairly certain it's been handled with the "Fall" Technique. I plan on going full Ryan Neil on it. I'd like to push it in the hopes of repotting on a stone I have in the next couple of season. Also, do you think it would be safe to style it this fall?

IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_20180617_195251225[1].jpg

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting possibilities with this tree. Do not believe Andy uses incorrect "fall" technique. If tree came potted can begin feeding now and give more sun as long as not drying out. Three personal burlap bonanza trees(2014/2016)from Andy began feeding right away and full sun conditions here. All have done wonderfully;). Please consider suggestion wait until 2020 when tree has much better foliage mass for repotting.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 2 from Andy now and fertilize them early and often with Grow More. The one I got last year back budded very well this year all on its own just by poring the water and fertilizer to it. I'm doing the same again this year.

I asked Andy about wiring and styling the tree and he told me that it was probably ok to do it a year after collection if the tree appears vigorous. Otherwise wait.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would recommend letting the tree tell you when it's ready to work. I used to collect these guys and always waited until the tree showed strong growth before working it. I usually waited at least a year. Sometimes it took a couple of months after collection to see strong growth, sometimes a couple of years. Some of these guys will sit and sulk for a very long time before they decide to get going again.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is the goal when the time comes. First time I saw the tree, I thought of this stone.
View attachment 198222
I like the combo.
I have 2 Ponderosa myself, and another 5 in the compost heap of "learning experiences" over the previous 15 years. I will tell you from experience, don't rush them. Don't style in autumn and then 4 months later in spring do a radical repotting, because it's "next year". It's not next year, it's only 4 months.

So do little except sun, fertilizer and water for a good 6 months before repotting, and then depending on response, give a minimum of a year to recover.

I do find that I don't have to "force" back budding with any techniques, just give them sun and water and fertilizer, the back budding will come on it's own.

When a tree is already close to a century old, they do not respond to anything rapidly, give them time, they old.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I like the combo.
I have 2 Ponderosa myself, and another 5 in the compost heap of "learning experiences" over the previous 15 years. I will tell you from experience, don't rush them. Don't style in autumn and then 4 months later in spring do a radical repotting, because it's "next year". It's not next year, it's only 4 months.

So do little except sun, fertilizer and water for a good 6 months before repotting, and then depending on response, give a minimum of a year to recover.

I do find that I don't have to "force" back budding with any techniques, just give them sun and water and fertilizer, the back budding will come on it's own.

When a tree is already close to a century old, they do not respond to anything rapidly, give them time, they old.

Sound advice Leo, thank you. I hope to style this fall and repot the year after as long as the tree responds well. It's got dream green and bio gold on the surface now and is being watered daily.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With just needles opening this year, no candles, if it were mine, I would do nothing until 12 months after nice fat candles open. So if you have fat candles, spring 2019, do nothing until spring 2020. Give it a full year of normal healthy growth before stressing the tree. It has not or will not have that in 2018 if it's only opening a few needles.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
With just needles opening this year, no candles, if it were mine, I would do nothing until 12 months after nice fat candles open. So if you have fat candles, spring 2019, do nothing until spring 2020. Give it a full year of normal healthy growth before stressing the tree. It has not or will not have that in 2018 if it's only opening a few needles.

It's putting on candles now, but I'll wait. All I have is time :p

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Oh yes, very happy. Keep it fed and watered, you will be rewarded for it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider allowing free growth/more trunk development before "potting" on stone. That will be end of trunk growth Personally am doing with all personal Ponderosas except 6 big old ones;). Training of keeper branches can ensue in mean time.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Looking good! And I think it will look great on that slab when the time comes.

Consider allowing free growth/more trunk development before "potting" on stone. That will be end of trunk growth Personally am doing with all personal Ponderosas except 6 big old ones;). Training of keeper branches can ensue in mean time.

I would love to see some pics of your ponderosas. When do you think that might happen?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! And I think it will look great on that slab when the time comes.
I would love to see some pics of your ponderosas. When do you think that might happen?

Thank you. Would like to do in NEAR future. Currently no digital capability:(.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Your tree does look happy. Congrats. Your candles look a little loose, which might be normal, might be because they are not getting enough sun.

I'm going to offer a caution, as at least 2 of my many Ponderosas in my compost heap are a result of this.
The long shadows indicate the photo was relatively early or late in the day. However, Ponderosas need full sun, for the majority of the day. And I do mean full, zero shadow sun. My back yard has gotten shady as neighboring trees matured. I got weaker and weaker growth of several of my pines, and I didn't realize it. By the time I understood what was wrong, I was styling, repotting, ect. trees that were weak from being in too much shade. They did not recover.

I move my only 2 surviving ponderosa to positions that put them in full sun within an hour or two of sunrise and they stay in full, unobstructed sun until an hour before, sunset. Dappled sun is not good enough.

Now I am saying all this prompted by a single photo, you will have to decide whether my comment applies to your case or not. I could be mislead by time of day and the photo.

But just trying to be helpful.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much agreement for more sunlight;). Nice work on grow box next door tree.

Top Bottom