Thoughts on new Ficus Benjamina - Beginner

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My apology for the quick phone pictures. The Ficus Benjamina here is a grouping that my wife picked up for me at a local nursery.

Benjamina%20%28resized%29.jpg

I have this Willow Leaf image as a backdrop on my desktop and she saw familiarity.

Forest-Willow_Leaf.jpg
This is being grown inside under LED lighting and in the last few months is showing decent growth. Instead of throwing out the dozen of questions that I have, what suggestions are there for a course of action to improve this grouping? Are any actions too soon? Note: my only experience so far as been keeping a Bird Plum alive and trimmed.

Benjamina%20trunk%20detail%20%28resized%29.jpg

I'd rather attempt forest with a canopy rather than a single thick trunk, but as was mentioned this is my first ficus.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those branches look tangled, i don't know much about groupings but i think branches rubbing against eachother is not good. Also, perhaps i would repot them (in spring) and place them further away from eachother for more room and better growing / fattening the trunks (maybe in a bigger containter).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My first thought on this one is to look at what @sawgrass did with his grouped much tighter - looks great and fun to work with. I tagged him in hopes he shares the thread he did ;)

Grimmy

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd also repot in late spring and get it into good Bonsai soil, you'll really see a difference in groth rate.

Top Bottom