Thoughts on Peter Chan? (Herons Bonsai)

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This article written in 2014 said he was in his 70's at that time. Further down it says his father was killed in the Calcutta riots in 1947 then quotes him saying he was age 7 when it happened.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I do find his videos very informative. Granted, not a lot of things will work out the way he says will happen due to different climates etc. He also acknowledges that there's beauty and ugliness in each tree, but to focus on the beauty. He also acknowledges that everyone has a different taste in trees, style, techniques, etc. and to respect that because there's no right or wrong way. But like how other people have said. Listen to the information and take it with a grain of salt

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Let's not forget that bonsai is considered an art, and as such, is dependent on the whims of the artist. In that light, I believe there is bad art and good art and everything in-between. And if bonsai IS art, there can be no "wrong" bonsai art. Oh, there definitely are wrong ways of doing the bonsai CRAFT according to traditional methods. Yes, if you want your trees to look like traditional Japanese bonsai, ,there are "wrong" ways to go about that. If , like me, you want a tree to be an expression of what I think it should be , then you can't be wrong........only different.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
the trident 7mins in is so sweet, could be really good once the branch structure is sorted out properly

View attachment 395695
I'm interested in the history behind this specimen which he has mentioned in small parts of in his videos many times. He says he acquired it from one of the three kato brothers, Terukichi Kato, after doing some research, I found he was the youngest brother of the famous Saburo Kato. This tree is a Taiwanese trident maple and has always been a favorite of mine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chiming in here to say I loves me some Peter Chan and damn sure some Nigel Saunders. Take what advice you like from anybody but realize nobody knows everything. Some folks know more than others, and some folks are just damn charming in how they share their knowledge, right or wrong. I'm just happy to live in a time where so much information can be shared so easily.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm interested in the history behind this specimen which he has mentioned in small parts of in his videos many times. He says he acquired it from one of the three kato brothers, Terukichi Kato, who after doing some research, I found he was the youngest brother of the famous Saburo Kato. This tree is a Taiwanese trident maple and has always been a favorite of mine.
i see you posted this twice, confused me because i saw the post before. i know as much about this tree as seen in the video mate.:)

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Let's not forget that bonsai is considered an art, and as such, is dependent on the whims of the artist. In that light, I believe there is bad art and good art and everything in-between. And if bonsai IS art, there can be no "wrong" bonsai art. Oh, there definitely are wrong ways of doing the bonsai CRAFT according to traditional methods. Yes, if you want your trees to look like traditional Japanese bonsai, ,there are "wrong" ways to go about that. If , like me, you want a tree to be an expression of what I think it should be , then you can't be wrong........only different.
agree 100%

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i see you posted this twice, confused me because i saw the post before. i know as much about this tree as seen in the video mate.:)
Haha, I was having wifi problems at the time and I guess the post ended up getting submitted twice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
However; bonsai is a special form of art with a goal of making a piece of art/tree that looks like a tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any relation to most famous honorable detective Charlie or most accomplished martial artist Jackie😊?

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've visited Heron's a few times and bought from them two or three times. In my view it's great for what they class as "indoor trees" (chinese elms and ficus) where they have a very wide selection at competitive prices. It's also great for cheap starters (see below story). For nicer trees, you'll pay £250 where you would pay £150 elsewhere, it is quite pricey.

On Peter himself, I once went along to Herons looking for some 2-3 year old maple seedlings to start a couple of clumps. Peter walked past and saw me looking through what they had out. I'd been looking through for about 5 or 10 mins when he walked back past and could tell I hadn't really found what I was looking for. He told me to hang on a moment and 5 mins later, came back with a colleague carrying two trays of maple seedlings for me to choose from. He then spent a few mins talking to me about what I was looking to do and what might work well. I tell this story for no reason other than to say that my experience of him is of a very kind man who is passionate about "bonsai for all". Whenever you go to Heron's he's enthusiastically talking customers through trees and what Bonsai is, the infectious enthusiasm you see on the videos shines through even stronger in real life.

He may be less relevant for those who are 20 years into the hobby but you only have to look through comments on his videos to see that he is a big factor in helping people get into the hobby and understanding the basics.

Top Bottom