Thoughts on Peter Chan? (Herons Bonsai)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry if I have offended you somehow?
I’m not sure why you have lead to personal insults when all I gave was my opinion.
I won’t resort to bickering with you, I’ll be the adult and wish you a good day lol
Yes, you were offensive. We were having a perfectly enjoyable conversation about Peter meeting the queen when you slid in and started sniping.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, you were offensive. We were having a perfectly enjoyable conversation about Peter meeting the queen when you slid in and started sniping.
It’s not a closed conversation is it, I’ve not rudely interrupted anything this is a open board , the threads titled thoughts on Peter Chan.
I have simply posted my thoughts, sorry that you don’t like them lol
I’m not sniping my friend it’s called having a different opinion .
And no I wasn’t offensive about anybody, that’s not why I’m here!

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These days people get their panties all wadded if you tell them the sky is blue.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The photos of Chan and the queen are kind of relevant to his abilities and notoriety. Yes, his trees can be a bit less than the professional standard these days, but the yardstick for measuring them and Chan have changed dramatically.

When those photos were taken in the 80's or early 90's bonsai was in its infancy in the West. There was no Internet. Most Western Japanese-trained professionals were still in diapers, or weren't even born yet.

Chan brought attention and a level of skill that was pretty rare back then. He made a big contribution to the art that isn't easily matched.

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Peter was the reason I got into bonsai, just 3 years ago. His way of bringing the art of bonsai to the public, and to me, is very soothing and catching. Since the beginning of my journey I got acquainted with Bjorn's videos and started visiting this board (and Mirai, Bonsai Empire). I think it's most fascinating that his approach works, especially since it -often- seems to be so different that what I read here (for example his very organically rich soil mixes, even on Junipers and his use of sphagnum moss). And while I can see that he works very differently than, for example, Bjorn (in his videos at least, not sure how he works on refined material), it's super interesting to see that what he does, works. Again, it's fascinating and keeps me thinking. So to me he played a very important role -he got me into bonsai after all. Just my two eurocents.
Oh and I love that robin in his video's.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
His video on sowing Japanese maple seeds is a must watch for anyone who's messed around with a refrigerator and/or had to explain to their spouse why there's moldy seeds in the fruit drawer.

You'll never do that again! He makes it easy.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Artists don't waste time tearing down other people's art/methods. They realize that "good" is mostly subjective, and don't aim for relative goals... why insult the way someone "get's down" with art... when you can focus on your OWN expression.

Conversely..

People who just make art (as apposed to artists) need a style, direction, "hero".. (or multiple heroes) to CLING to.. They normally have difficulties expressing themselves NON-contrived. These people often feel jealousy at others who CAN "create".. and spend their days criticizing SOME artists.. while doing their best to emulate OTHER artists.

Not sure if this is relevant HERE...

But this statement is relative MANY places.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really enjoyed this one although I didn’t hear the rain until he mentioned it and then couldn’t not hear it. Also the after slide says “before” ooops.

Peter and a Deshojo

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Without Peter would be no counter to what everybody else is doing… without counter there is no progress…
If you don’t like him don’t watch but having contradicting opinions just fuel the growth… doesn’t have to fuel the hatred…

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I happen to like his videos a lot, and has gotten me interested in trees I normally would never have thought about getting, namely pines. I am planning a trip to the UK hopefully late fall or early spring and hoping to get to see his place and maybe purchase a tree from him.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I happen to like his videos a lot, and has gotten me interested in trees I normally would never have thought about getting, namely pines. I am planning a trip to the UK hopefully late fall or early spring and hoping to get to see his place and maybe purchase a tree from him.
Because of USDA regulations on plant importing into the USA, buying a tree in England and bringing it to the US is (sadly) very difficult and usually expensive. They must be fumigated and then quarantined by an authorized importer. I undesrtand why the requirements are strict, but believe you will find the process of meeting USDA regulations burdensome.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't plan on bringing a tree back. It will be confiscated and destroyed at the port of entry in the U.S.

The importation process is rigorous and takes time--two years in an approved quarantine facility (here or in the U.K). including a bare root sterilization process-which can kill your tree.

This article touches on the process:

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wouldn't plan on bringing a tree back. It will be confiscated and destroyed at the port of entry in the U.S.

The importation process is rigorous and takes time--two years in an approved quarantine facility (here or in the U.K). including a bare root sterilization process-which can kill your tree.

Yet I can fly back with a case of 🦀 and no one says a word…

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think he's a great inspiration and his "don't overthink things approach" helps people like me who think too goddam much without doing...aside from this...............

993c3cf67eec9c31cca7bc3cd5e49e5e.jpg

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Before I attempted to bring anything back, or even g over to look at a purchase, I would contact Brussel's Bonsai in Horn Lake, MS. They are licensed to do all of the USDA requirements and have the facilities to do them. They can help you decide if the hassle is worth it.

Top Bottom