Thoughts on Pots for ficus

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So what kind of pot would you consider appropriate for a ficus?
Ficus isnt really a deciduous is it? Mine certainly have leaves all year round.
But they are broad leaved.

Is a glazed pot considered the most appropriate or would unglazed be?

Thoughts?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So what kind of pot would you consider appropriate for a ficus?
Ficus isnt really a deciduous is it? Mine certainly have leaves all year round.
But they are broad leaved.

Is a glazed pot considered the most appropriate or would unglazed be?

Thoughts?
What ficus? What style?

;)

...more seriously, In my opinion, I believe the politically correct answer is unglazed...

But I don’t aim for consistently correct..

I honestly think it depends heavily upon the tree.. And moreso, the pot.. and their resulting... “relationship”..

For me.. a “one-size fits most” answer to the question doesn’t exist.

🤓

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What ficus? What style?

;)

...more seriously, In my opinion, I believe the politically correct answer is unglazed...

But I don’t aim for consistently correct..

I honestly think it depends heavily upon the tree.. And moreso, the pot.. and their resulting... “relationship”..

For me.. a “one-size fits most” answer to the question doesn’t exist.

🤓

Not really speaking of a specific tree as in a heavy trunk vs a curvy thin trunk ( ie masculine vs feminine trunks) that would dictate the shape of the pot.

I'm mainly wondering about glazed vs unglazed for a ficus.

However I do have 2 willow leaf ficus that are going to need pots soonish so thats why Im asking.
They are both very different in shape and size

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly...I think of glazed when I think of ficus. But I know that many Florida people have used both glazed and unglazed.

Of course what once was done ... is really gray areas. I've also seen conifer in a glazed pot past few years.

End of the day...if they harmonize together...there isn't a wrong choice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think glazed when I think tropicals.

Glossy says wet.

Pics!

Thoughts on what you may be looking for?

I believe you were on my list of top nuts for a freebie, but I can't find the list, if not.... welcome to it, for being a good real human!

Sorce

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to get new pics but right now for the one Im thinking of is a small shohin Willow leaf.
So probably round, straight sides or not too angled, not too deep.
If unglazed then dark, if glazed then light, probably a cream color. I tend to like more subtle pot designs rather than bright, gaudy pots.

I probably should have bought that pot @penumbra had for sale but I just didnt think about this tree in time lol
Might have been a tad too big though, not sure

I need to take some pics of the tree and just sit and look at the tree some more to decide.

I hate trying to find the right pot...I really do

and thank you @sorce, that is very kind of you

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take your time it is still a bit early for repotting ficus in your climate. Summer is better. Most of my ficus are in glazed pots but I don't think it really matters.
Oh I would never repot it now, I am just starting to think about a pot. I dont repot tropicals until July 4th the earliest.
I usually start hunting for a pot months to a year ahead of time when I know the tree is ready for its own special pot because I really do find it hard to find just the right pot for a tree. Even if I dont get to repot it until 2022 its fine, I just know I need to start looking.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I would never repot it now, I am just starting to think about a pot. I dont repot tropicals until July 4th the earliest.
I usually start hunting for a pot months to a year ahead of time when I know the tree is ready for its own special pot because I really do find it hard to find just the right pot for a tree. Even if I dont get to repot it until 2022 its fine, I just know I need to start looking.
It would help us all if you show your ficus.
What ficus? What style?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You might say I',m stuck on Figs... A pair of Golden Benjamin in a Linda Ippel pot
FGB AABS 50th 2020_0720AABS 4.JPG
Green Mound in Dale Cochoy and Burt Davii in a Chinese looking porcelain...
FGM & FBD 20160828_123919.jpgFGM 20170827_104215.jpg
Green Island in a Mark Hanner pot...
FGM FGI 2018_0821AABSshow20180009a.JPG
Oriental Fig in Sarah Rayner...

AABS 50th FO 2020_0720 AABS 2.JPG
Tigerbark in a generic crackle pot (cheap, but I love them)...
AABS 50th FTB 2020_0720 AABS 2.JPG
All Figs all the time...
Meijer 2017.JPG
But I repeat myself...
Meijer Gardens 2018 Houseplants.JPG
Too Little forest in a crackle pot...
FTLf 2020_0801 F Denude Repot Edit.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a display in Franklin Village Art Fair every year to hand out literature for a bonsai couple clubs and vendors and I sell these windowbox forests to the unsuspecting who want a bonsai that they can't kill. The first order of business to keeping a bonsai alive is giving it some light, so a windowbox + fig is a no-brainer. I give them a care sheet, too.
FTLf5 P 3 20180305_.jpg
FTL wb7 2020_0811 Edit primaries.jpg
FTL wb 5 20200415.jpgFTL wb 1 20200415.jpg
FTL wb 2 20200415.jpg
FTL wb 3 20200415.jpg
My own windowboxes...
FT wf 2020_0811 edit.jpg
FTLsr 20180302_3.jpg
And this Too Little is also in a porcelain jardiniere without a hole, but only for ~3 or 4 years, so it's gonna die of root rot soon...
051421 Den Fig.JPG
I wouldn't think of asking other people for advice on what pot to put my bonsai in. They're my plants and I please myself, and other people don't have to look at them.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yes the decision is ultimately mine but I still have a hard time picking a pot out for a tree usually

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I buy pots that I like when I see them, all for no particular tree, just to have them. When it comes time to repot something I look thru what I have and that's my not-so-intelligent process. I do have to say that the judges sneer a certain percentage of the time, but that's a price I'm willing to pay because I sneer at plain brown pots, especially the really expensive ones that look exactly like the cheap ones. I see bonsai as a decorative art and every tree as an opportunity to dress in up in style, as opposed to the Japanese ethos of the pot never being in the same room as the tree.

I probably enjoy myself more than I should.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My curiosity gets me in such trouble…
…now I want ficus…and all kinds of pots…
Before I’ve even had my first cup of tea.

Thank you, Paradox of the Innocent Question,
and Forsoothe! the Imelda Marcos of Bonsai! 😉

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I buy pots that I like when I see them, all for no particular tree, just to have them. When it comes time to repot something I look thru what I have and that's my not-so-intelligent process. I do have to say that the judges sneer a certain percentage of the time, but that's a price I'm willing to pay because I sneer at plain brown pots, especially the really expensive ones that look exactly like the cheap ones. I see bonsai as a decorative art and every tree as an opportunity to dress in up in style, as opposed to the Japanese ethos of the pot never being in the same room as the tree.

I probably enjoy myself more than I should.
kinda funny when someone posts and the pot is garnering more interest than the tree itself, is that really how it should be. not so sure. a few years ago when i was fairly new and looking for a pot for my best elm, a wise man said: ' i like a pot that makes the tree the star, understated'

ive always stuck with that mantra, and i think thats why plain brown 'earthy' pots are a great, universal match for nearly every tree.

each to their own, i never really got into the pot addiction, i prefer to spend more on the tree and pair it with a less expensive but decent enough understated pot.

couple Erin pots i put up for sale yest, these in my view are good quality understated pots that the tree can shine in, fairly cheap too.

Attachments

• 20210514_180435.jpg
    20210514_180435.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210514_180522.jpg
    20210514_180522.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210514_173543.jpg
    20210514_173543.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210514_173026.jpg
    20210514_173026.jpg