Thoughts on this Crepe Myrtle

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Went to the nursery today and stumbled upon this Pecos crêpe myrtle. For 40 bucks I probably should have just picked up but I am wondering if I could get some feedback from any of you.
Too shruby?
Take it or leave it?
There appears to be a bit of inverse taper but I’m wondering if that’s something that can be fixed over time. I like the bass and the trunk… Thoughts?
Thanks!
A
12FA41A2-C04E-49DB-8E83-221C72F68078.jpegB1A05FB6-6B3A-4AE4-BA2C-C39EADBAA199.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
go get it!! Crapes back bud so reliably and I love that bark!! That base flares really nice also. And I’d bet you could encourage an even wider flare with time. Just ask @just.wing.it hes got one that he’s developing well. Or check out one of Marky Scott’s threads on crapes.

but did you really need me to tell you to go buy it Aaron??? 😉

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is some inverse taper but a big chop could solve that. And either carve out an URO or hide the chop and cut paste it.
Especially if you just let it grow for a few years, I bet you could begin healing that wound pretty well.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Any thoughts on where to chop this one back?
I'm assuming its too late in the season for cutting back now... ?
I do like the way the branches have formed up top but the reverse taper and hight may bight me in the butt later?
IMG_4408.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wherever you cut it, assume that section of the trunk will swell as the wound callouses and heals over. So you always want your cut to be at a narrow point of the trunk. Additionally, make sure to angle the cut at least 45 degrees, with the cut facing the rear of the tree. That way not only will the cut be hidden from the front while it is healing, but hopefully buds will pop at the top of the cut and they will grow forward towards the front of the tree (so your new trunk and apex will be forward). Finally make sure to scoop out the cut so that it is concave. If you make the cut flush, when the scar heals you will be left with a large lump.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Bonsai Nut
I read your reply in the Crepe Myrtle thread...
Im not planing on doing root work this season... but do you feel its safe to chop now and leave in nursery pot?

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
looks grafted just below that line or its the picture tricking me. Base may be a slower growing variety since it is thinner than the top. Most time you see the graft reversed and the base is the faster growing variety.

Top Bottom