Thoughts on this Crepe Myrtle

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Curious… I’ve had to reapply the cut paste due to the fact that the tree is pushing water sap? up through the trunk. It’s literally dripping down the side of the trunk. Should I be using a heavier cut paste or just keep reapplying the thinner stuff?
Don’t want it have the cut dry out.
image.jpg

Last edited:

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
***25 days after chop***
@Bonsai Nut... boy we’re you right! Thank you again for your input. 25 days and it’s popping like crazy. No rollover yet but bark is separating so it’s in the mail.

At this point I have removed a few of the very low buds which I feel will serve no purpose in the future composition of the tree....

Should I just let the rest grow wild at this point?

65D1C649-6352-4817-8736-AE4C5EA6A7F4.jpeg18671A6E-3CDC-44AE-976F-A419542C7EE2.jpeg58C3F700-3D6E-44AE-A909-8D84B1ED9AAD.jpeg553C45EB-5B1B-4C0B-BE6D-C3DD4CF1B5B8.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm no crape expert, but I'm no Smoke tree expert either, and I knocked some BS branches off it today. And it is less powerful than this.

I think there is a realm we sink into, due to beginning failures, that makes everyone afraid to knock buds.

If you are comfortable with the health and care of your tree, I don't think we should wait so long to rub buds, or decide on branches.

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice wok on that chop. I think you'll be pleased. I don't think you ever need to be timid with crape myrtle. I bought this dwarf in May 2017.
1593447302726.png

And promptly butchered it with a chop and major root work in June 2017.
1593447367078.png

And this is the tree today.

1593447437701.png

Also not meant as a hijack but just an example of what they can take and how quickly they can develop.

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would carefully remove all but one of the branches that are coming out of the same spot. They pop off pretty easy, so you have to be careful. And I would wire as soon as possible too (while they are still green). In my experience they can get really brittle once they lignify.

Last edited:

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@VAFisher
Wow... your example and BN example of Crepes in only 3 years is super impressive.... Love that tree!

Thanks for the removal advice... just about every area of growth is pushing 3-4 clumps of possible branches so I think ill have lots to choose from. There is some nice growth at the top directly on the top of the chop so the leader is clear.

Do they harden off quickly? I don't have much experience with CM... none actually.

Thank you for your response.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@VAFisher
Wow... your example and BN example of Crepes in only 3 years is super impressive.... Love that tree!

Thanks for the removal advice... just about every area of growth is pushing 3-4 clumps of possible branches so I think ill have lots to choose from. There is some nice growth at the top directly on the top of the chop so the leader is clear.

Do they harden off quickly? I don't have much experience with CM... none actually.

Thank you for your response.

Fairly quickly. I have just found it better to wire the green shoots rather than waiting for them to lignify before wiring. It's a lot easier to get some movement in them and set the angle that they come out of the trunk while green. You just have to be really careful not to pull the shoot completely off the trunk. I've found that you are pretty likely to just snap the branch if you wait until it's woody.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything Fisher said. I’ve got one in development also. I’ve found that there is a sweet spot To wiring the new shoots. I’ve broken off multiple in the past when I wire to early, but have snapped several when wiring too late. Right before the branch starts to lignify is my preferred time. Looking good though Aaron!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looking good! Letting the foliage run for a bit lets the tree rest and regain energy. Now is the time for the next step. You want to trim away almost all the new growth because it is too leggy to be used in your final design.

(1) In places where more than one branch is extending from a single location, eliminate all the branches except the best one. "Best" in this case defined by direction of growth - you want to keep the branch that is most horizontal and get rid of the branches that are growing vertically. You are just reducing from several branches to a single branch at all locations. Do not otherwise remove any branches - including those you might not want to keep longer term.
(2) Now, prune the branches that you kept back to the first internode - ie keep only one pair of leaves on each branch.

Put the tree back on the bench and wait for it to push the next round of growth. It should push two new side branches from the base of each branch you are keeping, as well as push a lot of new buds from the trunk. If everything goes well, you should actually get more buds from this second round than you did from the first.

Your tree should look like a little stubby porcupine. I believe I took this photo after the second round of pruning because in my case I got a bud to break at the top margin of the main pruning scar that I was going to let run as my new trunk line.

crepe.jpg

Last edited:

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Bonsai Nut
This is fantastic! Thanks for the detailed info... I was starting to wonder which direction I should take.
So far I have reduced the clumps to single branches and the most vertical... I will cut the ones I kept this afternoon.
A few of the branches have smaller leaves toward the base... should I cut back to those or the larger?

IMG_4579.jpgIMG_4578.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wasn't sure whether there were buds at those tiny first leaves (I'm sure there is a scientific name for them but I don't know it) so I made sure I cut right above the first full set of two leaves.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Bonsai Nut
Me again with another question.... sorry. I know its getting old...but is the idea to cut the new shoots that have exploded at the first set of leaves and so on?
Thanks in advance.
IMG_4676.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Me again with another question.... sorry. I know its getting old...but is the idea to cut the new shoots that have exploded at the first set of leaves and so on?
Thanks in advance.

In the case of the branch you are holding, I would personally cut it where your fingers are - because it is two internodes long and straight.

Otherwise, if you were keeping that branch, make sure to reduce every branch juncture to no more than two branches. In this case there are three, so you would want to eliminate the middle branch entirely (leaving two), and then prune the two that you left back to a single internode - ie back to the first set of leaves.

Top Bottom