Thoughts on this "good" bonsai?

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I came across this silly post on Facebook of the "top 10 bonsai" (clearly they've never been to bonsai Nut because there's way better on here ;))

But anyway, this was on the list... dc9977e6-8494-45e5-a20b-5844e9024af7.jpg

It's obvious a lot of care and attention have gone into this specimen.. but is it successful? Does this REALLY convince the viewer that they're looking at a "miniature tree"

Thoughts?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is a “strong arm” style. Yes, it’s greatly exaggerated. From what I understand, the strong arm style is often used at doorways and entrances to “welcome” visitors and point the way in.

And, no it’s not meant to depict a “natural” tree. It’s more like topiary.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is a “strong arm” style. Yes, it’s greatly exaggerated. From what I understand, the strong arm style is often used at doorways and entrances to “welcome” visitors and point the way in.

And, no it’s not meant to depict a “natural” tree. It’s more like topiary.
Well I learned something today, I've never heard of strong arm style! Thank you for educating me!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came across this silly post on Facebook of the "top 10 bonsai" (clearly they've never been to bonsai Nut because there's way better on here ;))

But anyway, this was on the list... View attachment 167912

It's obvious a lot of care and attention have gone into this specimen.. but is it successful? Does this REALLY convince the viewer that they're looking at a "miniature tree"

Thoughts?
Bonsai is not about 'miniature trees" that mimic nature. Never has been never will be. It is about using trees as a medium to communicate with other people. Trees like this are used to welcome people into gardens. Niwaki, the art of shaping in-ground trees to get specific shapes as bonsai does, has a term called "Monkaburi" which is essentially an exaggerated branch on pines or other trees in Japanese gardens that "welcomes" visitors with an overarching branch. The exaggeration is NOT meant to look all that natural, but
http://niwaki-jake.blogspot.com/2008/02/monkaburi.html

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai is not about 'miniature trees" that mimic nature. Never has been never will be. It is about using trees as a medium to communicate with other people. Trees like this are used to welcome people into gardens. Niwaki, the art of shaping in-ground trees to get specific shapes as bonsai does, has a term called "Monkaburi" which is essentially an exaggerated branch on pines or other trees in Japanese gardens that "welcomes" visitors with an overarching branch. The exaggeration is NOT meant to look all that natural, but
http://niwaki-jake.blogspot.com/2008/02/monkaburi.html
May my ignorance be a lesson to those lurking...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long branch is a sign achievement and is admired because it shows the tree is very old.

Tree? Sure? The rest of us.........not so much....

giphy.gif
:D:D:D:D:Do_O

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it.. very cloud like. I do wonder in how long you'd need to put crutch under the long arm in order to keep it from bowing down or the whole thing from toppling over

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
May my ignorance be a lesson to those lurking...
Haha, you fell on the sword for us all. But yeah, I think things like this remind me that culture and history are important aspects of bonsai and I may never fully understand something that is someone else's culture.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

But anyway, this was on the list... View attachment 167912

Thoughts?
When I started there was very little talk of "looking at a miniature tree" only of how closely one could copy the Japanese styles. Consider yourself fortunate it's not like that as much any more.

That said, I think it should be viewed with an eye towards the skill required to develop and maintain it.

I'll disagree with Rockm, kind of. While yes it's just a medium like any other, it was John Naka who taught us to not make our tree look like a bonsai but our bonsai look like trees. That statement and @Walter Pall changed everything for me.

Last edited:

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel silly now for posting this, but I'm glad I did! hopefully others who were in the same boat as I was, can now feel more educated on the practice and its place in culture!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I feel silly now for posting this, but I'm glad I did! hopefully others who were in the same boat as I was, can now feel more educated on the practice and its place in culture!

No need to feel silly - the whole point of this site is to talk about subjects that you are curious about or don't know about. If you knew everything about bonsai I would think it would be pretty boring :) Every day my trees teach me something new.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I started there was very little talk of "looking at a miniature tree" only of how closely one could copy the Japanese styles. Consider yourself fortunate it's not like that as much any more.

That said, I think it should be viewed with an eye towards the skill required to develop and maintain it.

I'll disagree with Rockm, kind of. While yes it's just a medium like any other, it was John Naka who taught us to not make our tree look like a bonsai but our bonsai look like trees. That statement and @Walter Pall changed everything for me.
That Naka quote is used often. But also realize that in his Bonsai Techniques 1 and 2 are very stict definitions of styles, proportions, branch placement, etc. Discussions of good vs faulty trunks, branches, etc.

Also note that like skirt hems, tastes in bonsai change over time. What’s popular now may be passé in 5 years.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
That Naka quote is used often. But also realize that in his Bonsai Techniques 1 and 2 are very stict definitions of styles, proportions, branch placement, etc. Discussions of good vs faulty trunks, branches, etc.

Also note that like skirt hems, tastes in bonsai change over time. What’s popular now may be passé in 5 years.

True but think back 20 years ago, you were a total (I mean zero tolerance) outcast if your bonsai did not conform to one of the classic styles, exactly. Ah, nothing better than row upon row of green helmets. Lovely to see maples and pines styled exactly the same. The truth is that style takes skill but is a cartoonish caricature of real trees. I think Naka's quote began to free people to pursue trees and not broccoli in a pot. It was one of those bells you can't unring... Even though it took a bit to catch on and Walter took heat for a good long time and still does, to be honest.

I like today's environment where appreciating all styles seems in vogue. I think we can revere and learn from the classics and see the art progress as well. That's why I can look at the OP's example and really enjoy it for what it is.

Top Bottom