Thoughts on this hornbeam

According_bid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dug this one up while picking ramps. Buds were just starting to break, so I'm a bit concerned it will make it. Got a fair amount of fine roots though. The pics were taken right after rinsing out the root ball before any further root pruning. There was no taproot and it will sit pretty flat after just a little trimming of the few downward reaching roots. Do you think it will have better odds of surviving if I find a place for it in the ground, or would it be fine in a pond basket with boon mix? I sealed the chop buried it in my raised bed vegetable garden for the time being.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-215500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-215500_Gallery.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20210423-215311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-215311_Gallery.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 55

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were mine, I'd chop it far lower. Good find!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dug this one up while picking ramps. Buds were just starting to break, so I'm a bit concerned it will make it. Got a fair amount of fine roots though. The pics were taken right after rinsing out the root ball before any further root pruning. There was no taproot and it will sit pretty flat after just a little trimming of the few downward reaching roots. Do you think it will have better odds of surviving if I find a place for it in the ground, or would it be fine in a pond basket with boon mix? I sealed the chop buried it in my raised bed vegetable garden for the time being.
Indeed, once WELL established would cut far lower to reduce uninteresting straight trunk. A LOT.

Top Bottom