Thoughts on this pot pairing...bougainvillea cascade and crescent

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So not to get lost in another thread. I decided to create one of its own...to get possibly more feedback. I'm considering a crescent pot. (Though I had visioned this in a taller cascade pot...the left side of the pot is so barren and dead space.) I came across this, and thought...it's about the right size to hold the roots...feminine which I was wanting. To play on the curves of the tree. Though in my mind's eye...I think a brown pot also may be an understatement that might play well with it. So I'm torn...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I went ahead and made purchase...if it doesn't work...then, I can either just have it as a dust collector...or sell it on a FB auction. No biggie.

Once in hand...and I can pose the tree next to it, ones might be able to offer better information to their thought on the paring.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I looks like it might work to me. Are the colours going to work together? The pot looks mostly dark green to me. What will it look like when the bougie is exploding with flowers?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I looks like it might work to me. Are the colours going to work together? The pot looks mostly dark green to me. What will it look like when the bougie is exploding with flowers?

I don't feel it will clash...green in my opinion is a neutral color. I maybe off on that thought process...and if I am. I will be schooled by another. Here it was in bloom while in the sellers possession.
image.jpg

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'd be more concerned with how well the greens in the pot either compliment or conflict with the leafing on the trees. Not all greens work well together. Often they actually clash. That would be something you'd really need to view in person and perhaps even throughout the year as new foliage pops and matures across the seasons. Photos can't determine that very well unfortunately.

I like the pot and the tree though, just not sure about this specific pairing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd be more concerned with how well the greens in the pot either compliment or conflict with the leafing on the trees. Not all greens work well together. Often they actually clash. That would be something you'd really need to view in person and perhaps even throughout the year as new foliage pops and matures across the seasons. Photos can't determine that very well unfortunately.

I like the pot and the tree though, just not sure about this specific pairing.

I do appreciate your opinion...with it being multiple shades of green...I don't see it that way. We shall see... I'll keep that in mind...If it doesn't pair...then I will plant this out with accent plants. I think the lighter tints to the pot will make it work. With the glazing offering several shades of greens. I see similar shades in it reminiscent of my tree...we shall see once it arrives in hand.

image.jpg

Last edited:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Once together you'll know better their synergies. Good luck. I do like that pot so please post a follow-up.

Have a great day.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it will be very nice.

I like the cascade pots alot with funky shaped tree.... and yours is.

Can't wait to see them together!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it will be very nice.

I like the cascade pots alot with funky shaped tree.... and yours is.

Can't wait to see them together!

Thanks...I sort of see it in a feminine crescent. Which are hard to come by. With its curves...I didn't want masculine. As if this is the one, we shall see.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So when I put in the bougainvillea after watering. I placed it in backwards from how I typically do.

received_1103831372971197.jpeg

So...if doable...out of the box.. thoughts? Of course the part that goes into the substrate actually turns. So it would not be straight.
received_1103838312970503.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So...if doable...out of the box.. thoughts?

Honest until you have the pot in hand it is a hard call. At this point I think the pot will make you happy but you will have a lot of plant hanging out of it no matter how it is positioned. What I am thinking will determine the plant position in the pot will be weight and gravity more then anything so it simply doesn't fall over. I am not certain how big the pot is but you may need larger... really tough call without both available to experiment. When it is placed in the pot another consideration is direction of growth so it does not tip in the future.

There are other options like wiring the pot down to a stand first but myself I would avoid it. From the pictures the pot seems small for the plant... but hey they are just pictures so difficult to tell.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honest until you have the pot in hand it is a hard call. At this point I think the pot will make you happy but you will have a lot of plant hanging out of it no matter how it is positioned. What I am thinking will determine the plant position in the pot will be weight and gravity more then anything so it simply doesn't fall over. I am not certain how big the pot is but you may need larger... really tough call without both available to experiment. When it is placed in the pot another consideration is direction of growth so it does not tip in the future.

There are other options like wiring the pot down to a stand first but myself I would avoid it. From the pictures the pot seems small for the plant... but hey they are just pictures so difficult to tell.

Grimmy
You make good points. The dimensions were 6" x 5 3/4" pot. But...from what point to what point. If it's a large as I think. It's much larger than my crescent from Erin Pottery with that Kojo No Mai. But...depending on what and where those measurements were taken. It could be a hiccup. Your right...it all depends on the way this tree can be wired into the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The seller mentioned a turquoise color wasn't showing up. This pot is stunning! I will keep this tree a cascade to display the glaze better in the pot. To do otherwise I would be turning the pot away from the viewer where the lovely glaze won't be seen as well.

Oh...no issues at all that it would fit. It's HUGE!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

There is no white line marking...glare/reflection or something in photo off glaze.

image.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh...no issues at all that it would fit. It's HUGE!

Good news! Happy for you - also looks like there is plenty of holes to choose from to wire the plant in! Always good to see any pottery arrive intact!

Grimmy

Top Bottom