Thoughts on this San jose

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you want to start slow, do a few cuts on the branches where you need to chase the growth back towards the trunk- cut as little as you can while still getting back to a hardened off stem, and you might see some growth pop a little lower on the branch! A slow, steady regimen of this over a few years should help you get foliage in a better place...
I was wondering how to backbud my Chinese Juniper. There are side branches that are still green, and some that are lignified. Where do you make the cuts?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I knew this was going to happen. I thinking about how I can explain this so everyone understands.

HAHA, bumping because I'm interested in hearing what Smoke was going to say.

Attachments

• waiting.jpg
    waiting.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 60

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you're going to have to eliminate one of those trunks. I would take the trunk on the left of the picture off, and bend the other branch back over the center.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I kind of thought one might have to go due to the dreaded slingshot look. I thought the one on the right would be the one to go though because the left just seems more natural to me and it is a thicker branch. However the one on the right seems to have filled out just a little bit better.

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
This tree has a lot of styling options, from bunjin to cascade. I kinda like it for a clump style tree or a raft style tree. Here are some thumbnail sketches. My scanner is kaput permanently so I can't scan in my sketches like usual, but this IPhone photo may work better.
Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 76

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Out looking at it this morning. Shot another angle and the side of the trunk that has deadwood exposed.
My train of thought is this. I like the deadwood, I think one branch should be eliminated, in the above picture the right trunk makes more sense to me to keep. Is this crazy or an ok plan? I have a tough time imagining the tree at other angles or twisted all over. Hopefully with time and seeing more trees I improve. Maybe I'll just leave it til next year lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 85

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Out looking at it this morning. Shot another angle and the side of the trunk that has deadwood exposed.
My train of thought is this. I like the deadwood, I think one branch should be eliminated, in the above picture the right trunk makes more sense to me to keep. Is this crazy or an ok plan? I have a tough time imagining the tree at other angles or twisted all over. Hopefully with time and seeing more trees I improve. Maybe I'll just leave it til next year lol.

Looks like a good move to me. I especially like your last two lines in this post and agree with those thoughts.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree I think keeping the one on the right side would be a good move ultimately

fore

Omono
Reaction score
This tree has a lot of styling options, from bunjin to cascade. I kinda like it for a clump style tree or a raft style tree. Here are some thumbnail sketches. My scanner is kaput permanently so I can't scan in my sketches like usual, but this IPhone photo may work better.
Good luck!

Wow Si, those drawings are fantastic. Def. like the left one better, though both are very nice styles. Thanks!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since the plan was to remove the one branch, i figured why not play with it first to see how far i can get away with bending to get an idea when it comes time to work on the other branch i want to keep. I wired it up and twisted away, does anybody think this will negatively impact the trees health? I did not remove any foliage. Just bent it a bunch.

The branch i intend to keep will be left alone, likely until next year.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Any pics? I do not think the bending will do anything to impact the health. Providing the bends are rounded and not sharp so that the cambium is not crushed.

Rob

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't mind if it destroys the branch itself. Just don't want it to impact the rest of the tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 89

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never seen this before....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to my world...cedar-apple rust!!! Yucky x 2. Cut all the foliage that has the orange glop away and throw it in the trash or burn it, then start spraying with a fungicide preventative every 2-3 weeks during the spring.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sonova bitch!!
What fungicide you using diamond Dave? I got copper stuff and some other chemical stuff on hand.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sonova bitch!!
What fungicide you using diamond Dave? I got copper stuff and some other chemical stuff on hand.

You can say that again! Never saw the stuff til I moved to GA...now it's a annual spring event to cut away the galls just as they begin to swell. I will say the fungicide preventative really helps reduce the amount of rust that I have to deal with...I use bonide copper.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The trunk looks good, and it has potential if you can get the foliage closer to the trunk.
The foliage looks a bit more like prostrata. It also looks like it would benefit from a year of sunshine and heavy feeding before working or removing any foliage.

Agreed. Usually the kind of growth we see on this tree is not too conducive to back budding. The tree needs to be kicked in the ass with some fertilizer and the trunk is very good.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it's been about two weeks since this tree got a thorough inspection. Can these develop that fast?

Top Bottom