Thoughts on this San jose

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Updated pic. I beat the apple cedar rust. Tree looks healthy for the most part but I believe I now have scale. I hit it with natria insect, disease and mite control. Is that enough to kill these or will I have to remove them all by hand/cut off foliage? Is there a better treatment?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 73

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Don't cut off any more foliage. I've found the best way to deal with scale is to keep your tree as healthy as possible...for a juni that's outside year round in a location with good ventilation, full sun and in good soil. I'd also hit it with a systemic insecticide now, and use a horticultural oil next fall and again in late winter.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't cut off any more foliage. I've found the best way to deal with scale is to keep your tree as healthy as possible...for a juni that's outside year round in a location with good ventilation, full sun and in good soil. I'd also hit it with a systemic insecticide now, and use a horticultural oil next fall and again in late winter.

Good advice, one problem.
Where NY and I live, systemics have all been banned for purchase by private home owners.

NY if the Natria doesnt work, try neem oil (unless there is some problem with using it at this time of year?) and if that doesnt kill them, Sevin should.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good advice, one problem.
Where NY and I live, systemics have all been banned for purchase by private home owners.

NY if the Natria doesnt work, try neem oil (unless there is some problem with using it at this time of year?) and if that doesnt kill them, Sevin should.

Sevin will only kill the crawlers, as is the case with most contact insecticides. Unless you apply when the crawlers are moving in the spring time, you're unlikely to be successful. Without systemics, you're options are limited. I've applied 4 season hort oil in summer to treat mites, but I'm not sure how effective this will be against adult scale organisms, either, though probably worth trying. Again, the best thing going forward is to get this tree growing gangbusters this summer and hit it hard with the horticultural oil a few times over the next dormant period. Good luck.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would use Bonide All seasons horticultural oil concentrate. Spray it once a month through the growing season and you should be ok. Keep the tree out of strong sun for a couple/few days or until you wash the oil off.

This is a nice tree with some good potential.

Rob

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all for the input.

Thanks rob. Although it's got a ways to go, i feel like it's come along pretty good from when i got it last year. Other than the recent problems I think it's in good health, in good soil and moving along in the right direction.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Updating a couple threads to show progress or lack thereof. o_O
Current pic. lost a branch over winter. I'm letting it grow this year. Not much to look at, but I still like the deadwood and movement. would like it more in a smaller pot. projuni.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
updated pic after repot, drastically changing the angle.. I like it more this way, but it still annoys the crap out of me. Maybe I'm not seeing it right. I love the bark, the deadwood and the bends. I don't like how all the bends are going away from the viewer, or at least that's the case if i try to make the deadwood on the front. and I don't like the foliage so much, wish it was shimpaku. And the branches don't seem flexible at all. needs styling, or grafting of better foliage which i have never done..meh, time for a drink.
prostrata16.JPG

prostrata17.JPG

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Updating a couple threads to show progress or lack thereof. o_O
Current pic. lost a branch over winter. I'm letting it grow this year. Not much to look at, but I still like the deadwood and movement. would like it more in a smaller pot. View attachment 76914
Nice work, it looks challenging! I liked the 2015 planting, but IMO the apex was too full and upright. I was imaging that nature pushed the trunk low to the right and the foliage would compliment that if it would have been flattened and brought more down to the right.

Now would the current planting look better with a lot less foliage and wired into tighter pads? The trunk has some nice features and looks old. But literati forms seem very hard to create.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks much better with the new angle.
I think it would look better with shimpaku foliage also.
But then again what juniper doesn't?
Maybe get yourself a couple cheap garden center junipers and a couple little shimpaku junipers and practice grafting thus year. That way you will be able to go at this one with confidence next year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was digging that angle.

It was crazy natural.
It WAS..."lost" a branch...not removed...
Scale...natural.

Now it looks "helped by human".

Everything in the story of how that tree got into that shape with those Shari was in that heavy lean.

It all flowed that way.

Now you have a trunk that looks as if it was wired into a spring shape by a Noob.

IMO....

Get your wedge out.....
Or get wedgied!

Sorce

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
[QUOTE=".meh, time for a drink.[/QUOTE]

Lol source beat me to it, I like the way you think, then again I come from a state where the kind of binge drinking most others do at a wedding or bachelor party we call Tuesday.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took me two hours to eat two burritos and drink two Dos Equis and wire this.
IMG_0778.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Worked this one yesterday.
From 2013 to present. Pretty crazy to see the odd steps this one has taken over the last few years. The foliage is more difficult to manage than other species but I think this is the nicest it has looked since I’ve had it.
C406E97E-B650-4318-9342-6BB9D6EE052C.jpeg

C4CDA87D-AF39-49A6-99DE-04FD6D3A6B35.jpeg

Top Bottom