Thoughts on this trident?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Some other ideas. Red branch in question is that there should be a node there but not sure if it will back bud.

Attachments

• chopped version trident #2.jpg
    chopped version trident #2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 36
  • chopped version trident.jpg
    chopped version trident.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 25

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice pick! Lone Pine is the bomb. They have terrific stock for reasonable prices. The owners are also extremely friendly and helpful. I got my Trident from them back in 2011 and its now one of my nicest trees.

Don't feel like you're limited to the existing branches. You can grow out a branch and then use it to thread graft a branch in exactly the spot you want. Tridents take these grafts really easily. That's what I did on the lower two branches on my tree.

Keep us posted of it's development!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see if you could lean it heavy in either direction to keep the first branch on as it is, whichever it ends up being.

Heard Smoke talk about leaving them branchless in the ass opening up a possibility of dieback all down that side.

I reckon you could keep it for a few years, while the rest heals, then begin removing it to favor something else after it has done some work for you.

Branches want to pay their way.

It's a rare occasion, like almost never rare, that leaving something on will lose you time or design options.

It's always a gain gain.

Speaking of Theo Von....Gain gain! Lol.

Sorce

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'd like to see if you could lean it heavy in either direction to keep the first branch on as it is, whichever it ends up being.

Heard Smoke talk about leaving them branchless in the ass opening up a possibility of dieback all down that side.

I reckon you could keep it for a few years, while the rest heals, then begin removing it to favor something else after it has done some work for you.

Branches want to pay their way.

It's a rare occasion, like almost never rare, that leaving something on will lose you time or design options.

It's always a gain gain.

Speaking of Theo Von....Gain gain! Lol.

Sorce
Can you clarify a bit? Still learning the lingo lol

Attachments

• labeled branches.jpg
    labeled branches.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is just a thought. Judging from the photos, I like this as your possible front. The base and nebari look nice in this view. As @Smoke suggested, chop after the first node on the top straight section. This will hopefully give you backbudding to help build the top like I've suggested with the green branches. The blue line is where I think it would be nice to have your first branch, right on the outside of that curve. You would grow out one of those back branches and then use it as a donor for a thread graft that you could do next spring.

@Smoke would you suggest that he chop now or wait until Fall or even next spring before bud break?Screenshot_20220516-123052~3.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the photoshopped magic chops pics, both ones have what could, and arguably Should, be a first branch, cut off.

Keep it.

I can't find the Smoke talk thread for reference, he musta dipped earlier than I searched 2019, trident branches....

But I found this....
Post in thread 'Large Trident Maple' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/large-trident-maple.37228/post-627155

Hit the magnifying glass top right, hit advanced, enter smoke for posted by, and some seperate key words...

You'll find more.

The thread I'm thinking of is rightly applicable.

I'll keep trying to find it.

Sorce

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thumb through these some.

Sorce
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/large-trident-maple.37228/#post-627155 I think this is what you were referring to. So if I understand right, if I were to make a chop after that first branch with nothing on the right side, there's a chance that side of the tree would die. It would be better to chop higher and weight for back buds lower down so the tree doesn't die on that side?

I think the only thing that is bothering me about this tree as is, is the long straight middle trunk section.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree that middle section is very straight and has virtually no taper. However, I personally wouldn't chop it. To heal such a chop is going to take a VERY long time. Yes that section is uninteresting and boring but you can hide it with some foliage and break it up with pad or two.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
think the only thing that is bothering me about this tree as is, is the long straight middle trunk section.

You identifying that is important.

The harder part to remember that's important is to ONLY remove that part that's got you buggin' and nothing more, live with it for a while, (which by golly allows it to live), then identify that next gut feeling of ugly you end up with....

We all get that gut feeling, just to many people don't know it's directly connected to their brain, so they fear acting on it.

Without that fear....and all the BS that spraying things, garaging things, and pruning too much gets you, bonsai becomes easy.

I trust your gut.

Sorce

Top Bottom