Thoughts on up-pot?

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I’ve got some JWPs that I’ve (mostly) kept alive throughout this winter. Come this spring they’ll be a year old, and I’m wondering if I should repot them into slightly bigger pots to facilitate growth.8B0AF441-B871-462F-8536-1E5727A2D2C2.jpeg
I’m sure they’re not pot bound now, but I figure if I don’t up pot this season I’ll probably want to do it next season. Currently the pots I have them in are 2.5 inch diameter at the base and 4 inches tall, so by no means are they very big.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
based on the lack of lustre I cannot recommend anything.
If it pushes candles, yes. A more shallow larger diameter pot.

Is that ice on the pot? If it were happy I would dissect the roots, but it's not. sorry

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do nothing. Stabilize it to live another season....and get added growth. I would resist the temptation to change the potting. Maybe next year if it wildly grows.....otherwise just leave it alone. I think it needs to get a healthy start.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you see a apex bud? Im surprised this tree looks that small after a year. A pine should look significantly fuller after one year. What kind of pine is it?

I agree with the above. Id let it sit another year.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It does have some ice buildup on the outside of the pot. I keep it buried in mulch in a cold frame to keep it mildly protected from harsh winds in my climates nasty winters. Not much I can do about about the substrate freezing 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s a Japanese White Pine, notoriously slow growers, they seem to be right on schedule size-wise based on everything I’ve read and seen in books. It does have a bud at the tippy top as well

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The pot is big enough to get them to their first foot in height. It doesn't look very strong and healthy, so I'd suggest you wait for another year to change the pot.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, so in the pot it remains this year. Hopefully it’ll come out of winter nicely and I can strengthen it during its second growing season.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it grows well I'm spring I'd consider repotting it after the summer Solstice.

This is a good stage to use a colander too.

Prep many feeders for a couple years.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The volume of roots is approximately 20% of the volume of the whole tree. I'm guessing that seedling could grow about a hundred years in that pot. Maybe you should be more patient. A watched pot never boils.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done JWP from seed, and Forsoothe is correct. At the rate they grow that pot will be fine for a few years

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
P.S mine got very ratty and came back in the spring. In fact I had a spring flush completely die and it gave me a second flush that year. Cool thing about seedlings is they're forgiving. Apparently won't do that once mature

Top Bottom